The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 20th, 2024, 11:35pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Capacitor shielding (Read 200 times)
Tlaloc
Community Member

Dallas, TX
Capacitor shielding
Nov 12th, 2008, 9:07am

In just about every SAR, Delta-Sigma converter, and other switched cap circuits, the summing junction (SJ) plate of the capacitors are always shielded from the top of the chip.  With poly-poly caps, this was easy since you could use whatever metal layer you wanted.  With MIM caps, it now looks like the bottom plate of the cap, i.e. the plate that sees the parasitic to substrate, is used for the sensitive SJ nodes since the top plate is shorted to top metal above which is effectively a shield.  I'm assuming that the MIM cap must be made on the second highest level of metal with the capacitor top metal (CTM) sitting above that with vias up to top metal.

First off, why shielding a necessity?  Is it to protect from piezo-electric effects?  Is it to absorb EMF before it disrupts the SJ nodes?  Is there some other reason?

With many switched cap designs using poly caps, I have seen them split the cap into two and arrange them back-to-back.  This has a number of positive effects, not the least of which is eliminating the linear term contribution of the voltage coefficient of those caps.  What can be done when using MIM caps that cannot be placed on arbitrary metal layers, i.e. fixed to the second highest metal line?  Can we no longer place these caps back-to-back?  If not, are there any other ways to compensate for the linear voltco?

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Re: Capacitor shielding
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2008, 11:28pm

Tlaloc wrote on Nov 12th, 2008, 9:07am:
In just about every SAR, Delta-Sigma converter, and other switched cap circuits, the summing junction (SJ) plate of the capacitors are always shielded from the top of the chip.  With poly-poly caps, this was easy since you could use whatever metal layer you wanted.  With MIM caps, it now looks like the bottom plate of the cap, i.e. the plate that sees the parasitic to substrate, is used for the sensitive SJ nodes since the top plate is shorted to top metal above which is effectively a shield.  I'm assuming that the MIM cap must be made on the second highest level of metal with the capacitor top metal (CTM) sitting above that with vias up to top metal.

First off, why shielding a necessity?  Is it to protect from piezo-electric effects?  Is it to absorb EMF before it disrupts the SJ nodes?  Is there some other reason?

With many switched cap designs using poly caps, I have seen them split the cap into two and arrange them back-to-back.  This has a number of positive effects, not the least of which is eliminating the linear term contribution of the voltage coefficient of those caps.  What can be done when using MIM caps that cannot be placed on arbitrary metal layers, i.e. fixed to the second highest metal line?  Can we no longer place these caps back-to-back?  If not, are there any other ways to compensate for the linear voltco?

Hi,

I don't know if this is also true to delta-sigma converters, but I would shield the SJ only to ensure that only the intended caps are coupling to it, and there are no strays from other interconnects which run around that add to the SJ. If these interconnects are carrying signal, then they change the gain from the signal or reference in such a manner as to introduce nonlinear distortion for a Nyquist ADC. For a delta-sigma, I am not sure. If you are coupling to a noisy line, then that is surely a disadvantage and you want to shield out anything but the caps you really want.

However, the price you pay (you always pay one) is that the additional parasitics from the shielding will slow down the overall system, and worsen the overall performance noticeably.

By the way, keep in mind that with MIM, you have a very very small parasitic cap on the bottom plate. Depending on your layout, you may be able to put the shield in the well below. Again, that may not be helpful depending on your layout.

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
Tlaloc
Community Member

Dallas, TX
Reply #2 - Nov 13th, 2008, 6:23am

I know that we will have to be very careful with the layout for all horizontal and some vertical routes, but my question is slightly different.  I am specifically asking about the need to shield the SJ nodes from above, not from any internal signals but from the outside world.  

For example, if the SJ node is on the CTM layer with top metal above it, does this suffer more from package stresses than if the cap were flipped?  Is there some other reason to not expose some critical node when looking from above?  EMF, maybe?

Adam

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Nov 13th, 2008, 11:22pm

Hi,

In principle, it is always better to shield sensitive nodes from above to remove potential EMF impact, or even light-induced disturbances (if unpackaged die are used).

However, I think the main reason to put a top-metal blanket above the entire cap array if you are trying to match things well (Planarization issues).

Regards,
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
Tlaloc
Community Member

Dallas, TX
Reply #4 - Nov 14th, 2008, 12:34pm

I would not have thought that matching would be affected in more modern processes that planarize the back end.  Have you ever seen data comparing mismatch between shielded and unshielded caps in processes using CMP?

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #5 - Nov 17th, 2008, 12:49am

Tlaloc wrote on Nov 14th, 2008, 12:34pm:
I would not have thought that matching would be affected in more modern processes that planarize the back end.  Have you ever seen data comparing mismatch between shielded and unshielded caps in processes using CMP?

No! I have not. In any case, I am not using one of these more modern processes (0.35 um). Do you have some data of this sort?

Regards,

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
Tlaloc
Community Member

Dallas, TX
Reply #6 - Nov 19th, 2008, 10:41am

I have not seen any data, but in a planar process, edge effects should be negligible.  I remember when working in non-planar processes, they gave us rules of thumb for the distance from caps and resistors that needed to match and everything else.  They always requested a larger separation when we did want things to match.  

Of course, all of this would not necessary help between dense and sparse layouts.  I know there can be differences in matching there due to lithography and etching.  I've seen concrete evidence that there are differences but nothing to say one is always better than the other.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.