The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 29th, 2024, 2:16am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
limiting amplifier options (Read 2317 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

limiting amplifier options
Nov 21st, 2008, 12:29am

Hi all,

I want to design a limiting amplifier using nmos differential pair and nmos diode connected loads. Unfortunately due to the body effect, the sizing ratio between the loads and the differential pair has to be pretty huge even for moderate values of gain.

So i've come up with 2 simple solutions (there are other more complicated ones).

1) Use deep n-well transistors with source-body connection. Unfortunately I guess the matching will take a hit because of the increased device separation.

2) Use VNPN transistors. VNPN transistors are larger, but get better matching. I'm also not so sure how well modeled they are.

So does anybody have an opinion on which one would be preferable, or maybe even a better solution?

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: limiting amplifier options
Reply #1 - Nov 21st, 2008, 4:50am

aaron_do wrote on Nov 21st, 2008, 12:29am:
1) Use deep n-well transistors with source-body connection. Unfortunately I guess the matching will take a hit because of the increased device separation.

you could try nmos bulk to vdd.... this will help in terms of lowering threshold and compacting layout... (the only caveat i see are latchup implications)

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Re: limiting amplifier options
Reply #2 - Nov 22nd, 2008, 1:06pm

Hi Aaron,

Could you explain why you don't want to use PMOS loads (parasitics?)? The drawback I see with (1) is that the RWell (i.e. the local P-well) will be connected to the output node, right? This will increase the parasitics on the output and lower the BW of the limiting amp. In case (2), you will have an important penalty in area due to the bipolar device sizes.

Regards
Paul

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.