The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 19th, 2024, 6:17am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Single-differential converter (Read 2973 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Single-differential converter
Nov 27th, 2008, 11:27pm

Hi all,

just wondering, what is the benefit of this kind of active balun? How is it better than a simple differential pair with one input grounded?

btw i forgot to add the VCC connection in between the resistors, but i don't think the resistors are necessary anyway...

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Re: Single-differential converter
Reply #1 - Nov 29th, 2008, 8:15am

Hi Aaron,

Not sure what the real advantages are since I´m not an expert, but concerning the resistors I guess the will be necessary (with the corresponding reference voltage in the mid-point) in order to guarantee the output CM of the circuit: since its output is differential you need to force the output common-mode.

Regards
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #2 - Nov 29th, 2008, 7:01pm

Hi Tosei,

thanks for your input.

the funny thing is the center point is tied to VCC. The resistors aren't sensing the CM value. Anyway it seems to me that this circuit is guaranteed to have a DC offset, and i doubt the AC balance can be any good since its obviously asymmetric.

the circuit has been patented which leads me to believe there is something good about it, but i just can't figure it out.

cheers,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #3 - Dec 5th, 2008, 1:33pm

I actually tried using that structure a few years ago, except the MOS version.

It never made it into the final design, but I seem to remember it was a bit quieter than the differential pair (everything else being the same) but had nothing of significance to offer that I can remember.

Differential pairs that are driven with one side AC grounded dont give a perfectly complementary amplitude signal out, and If I recall that also offered better amplitude balance.

Patented? Why would that indicate that it has value or merit? (Sort of kidding!) Seriously, don't allow any presence of a patent ***ever*** fool you into thinking that an idea has merit or is unique. A lot of patents are pretty worthless. (and yes, I have patents that I consider worthless, but the company I was working for wanted the concept patented!)

Jerry

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
rf-design

Reiner Franke

Germany
Reply #4 - Dec 15th, 2008, 2:08pm

Have seen that "differential combined common-base common-emitter LNA" in magazines in the early 80's. The patent is a zombie, def...

It have some advantage if you connect the output to differential integrated inductors. Also the matching more broadband through the common-base. The amplitude balance is getting critical, true.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.