The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 19th, 2024, 4:27am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Limiting Amplifier output voltage (Read 2070 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Limiting Amplifier output voltage
Dec 12th, 2008, 12:05am

Hi all,

In a limiting amplifier + RSSI, the limiting amplifier has a certain output swing, for example 1 V pk-pk. After each limiting stage, there is a peak detector. So my question is, does the peak detector need to have a "linear" output up to an input voltage of 1 V pk-pk. I put linear in "" because i know we're actually looking at the DC output versus AC input. My thinking is that the RSSI detection range will be low if the peak detectors don't work up to the full output swing of the limiting amplifiers.

Part 2... Its difficult to get a "linear" peak detector up to 1 Vpk-pk input, so what are the implications of have a lower limiting output, 0.5 V pk-pk for example...

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: Limiting Amplifier output voltage
Reply #1 - Dec 12th, 2008, 12:27am

It has to be "linear" enough over a majority of the output swing, just sufficient such that when the detector signal outputs for all the stages are summed together, its give sufficient piecewise "linearity" over the full signal range of interest.
Part 2: i guess the implication is more cascaded gain stages...
cheers
aw

View Profile   IP Logged
rf-design

Reiner Franke

Germany
Re: Limiting Amplifier output voltage
Reply #2 - Dec 15th, 2008, 2:12pm

If the topic is "limiting amp" + "RSSI" that means that the overall function should be log(amplitude). Because the total functions is composed of single segments each segment is at its best also a log-function. But log-dectection is tied in some manner to nonlinearities of the device the detection voltages would be in some Vt or Vdsat-range.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.