The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 20th, 2024, 7:25am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
clock generating (Read 3782 times)
Nimrod Ben-Ari

Israel
clock generating
Dec 21st, 2008, 6:27am

Hi,
I have a very accurate rising edge signal at ~100MHz, I need to generate a 50% duty cycle output at the same frequency.

could any one suggest a way for implementing such a circuit?

Thanks,
Nimrod Ben-Ari

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Re: clock generating
Reply #1 - Dec 24th, 2008, 7:16am

How much tolerance for the duty cycle?  ±%1 or ±5% ???

If you need very accurate 50% duty cycle, you'd better generate it out of a PLL or a DLL because they have very precise delays or phases.

If very accurate 50% duty cycle is not a need, a long inverter chain is a good replacement because it is simple, power saving, and of small area. The ~100 MHz clock is fed to the inverter chain, while it is sampled by the output of each inverter. Suppose one inverter has one unit delay, then it is easy to determine how much unit delay that one clock cycle is equal to. If one cycle is equal to 2N unit delay, the required signal of 50% duty cycle is made out of the outputs of the Nth inverter and the 2Nth inverter.

Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #2 - Dec 25th, 2008, 6:59pm

Agree that the PLL/DLL is the most accurate way of doing this.

Another method is an integrator (I into C) and some holding capacitors - Integrate over the period, hold the voltage value of the integration, do 50% voltage division and compare that to the nexct integration cycle. At the 50% of the integration amplitude point flip the state of the clock over.

With a little thought this can be done where all the delays, mismatches and offsets are cancelled out.

The string of inverters sounds interesting, but at 100MHz thats probably a whole lot of inverters, and if you want good accuracy, needs to be updated for PVT variances that are ongoing. Power and temperature are going to be changing all the time.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Nimrod Ben-Ari

Israel
Reply #3 - Dec 27th, 2008, 10:07pm

thanks to all the replies.

I found a third way to do this, I'm using a XOR circuit at the input of the clock block to double the in coming frequency and then I'll divide it at the output using TFF, getting a 50% DC with the correct frequency.

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #4 - Dec 28th, 2008, 6:08pm

Hi Nimrod,

I doubt that the third way, the XOR method, is not feasible. Would you please depict the schematic here? How do you simulate? Do you simulate with a clock input of 50% duty cycle?

Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Nimrod Ben-Ari

Israel
Reply #5 - Dec 28th, 2008, 9:49pm

Hi Yawei,

I use the XOR at the input of the a sort of DLL that reduce the Jitter, the problem was that to get a 50% duty cycle at the output I had to divide the output clock by two. by adding the XOR at the input I was able to get the orginal frequency with the desired duty cycle.

Nimrod

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.