The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 4:25pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Do I need IUS/LDV to do AMS simulation (Read 833 times)
Julian18
Community Member

Do I need IUS/LDV to do AMS simulation
Jan 13th, 2009, 9:31am

Hi, there
     I am a new guy in AMS simulation, since I have only IC610 installed, I want to know is it sufficient to run a  whole AMS simulation process ? or I have to install IUS/LDV? I have searched ncsim in my installation DIR and can not find it.

Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: Do I need IUS/LDV to do AMS simulation
Reply #1 - Jan 13th, 2009, 9:51am

If using Cadence simulators, then yes, you'll need to install IUS (LDV is the old name for the stream, but there are no supported LDV versions these days).

The IC6 family does not contain any simulation at all (in earlier IC versions, such as IC5141, you had spectre, but that has been separated into a separate MMSIM stream, such as MMSIM70).

So, if you want to do circuit simulation or RF simulation, you'd need MMSIM70, and if doing mixed-signal simulation, you'd use IUS82 (for example) - MMSIM70 and IUS82 are the latest versions.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Julian18
Community Member

Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2009, 7:38am

Andrew Beckett wrote on Jan 13th, 2009, 9:51am:
If using Cadence simulators, then yes, you'll need to install IUS (LDV is the old name for the stream, but there are no supported LDV versions these days).

The IC6 family does not contain any simulation at all (in earlier IC versions, such as IC5141, you had spectre, but that has been separated into a separate MMSIM stream, such as MMSIM70).

So, if you want to do circuit simulation or RF simulation, you'd need MMSIM70, and if doing mixed-signal simulation, you'd use IUS82 (for example) - MMSIM70 and IUS82 are the latest versions.

Regards,

Andrew.

Thanks Andrew:
But what confuses me is that MMSIM does have ncverilog and ncvlog and other ncxxxx files(except ncsim), Can I use these to do AMS simulation?

Thanks!

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #3 - Jan 15th, 2009, 2:36am

It only has a subset of the NC tools, and they are in a directory that is not intended to be put in your path - they're there for use by other parts of the tools, not for user-use.

So you should not use them (as you can see, there's no simulator - just the compiler, so you wouldn't be able to anyway!).

The only supported way of running AMS Simulation is to use the simulators from an IUS release.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.