The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 17th, 2024, 10:59pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Variable error in Corner sims with bdavxl (Read 2755 times)
Mark Zimmerman

Santa Clara, CA
Variable error in Corner sims with bdavxl
Jan 19th, 2009, 3:56pm

I am trying to use the Virtuoso ADE "Corners..." Tool with the bdavxl (BDA FastSpice cosim with Verilog-XL).  Unfortunately, I can't use AMS with this particular setup.  However, when I try to start the full simulation, I receive dozens of errors for each of my variables in the simulation (<name>) as follows:

*Error* asiSetDesignVarList: bad name "<name>" not added

The simulator then hangs in the "Partition..." step, and never completes partitioning.  The variables I use in my circuit are handled fine outside of the Corners tool... I'm not certain why the tool has problems with them.  

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: Variable error in Corner sims with bdavxl
Reply #1 - Jan 20th, 2009, 2:18am

The only problem I'm aware of with variables with this SKILL function (which is used within the corners tool) is either if the variable truly is not a legal name (which seems unlikely, if it works in ADE normally), or if you have some customization which messes with the regular expression "magic" mode.

Can you try typing:
Code:
rexMagic() 

in the CIW - does it return nil? If so, try doing:
Code:
rexMagic(t) 

and seeing if that helps.

Essentially, if you use rexMagic(nil) it will disable the handling of certain regular expression characters as special "magic" characters, and consequently the code which checks for illegal names fails. I've seen a design kit where this happened (inadvertently).

Other than that, you might want to contact BDA's support - assuming that the problem doesn't occur with (say) spectre or spectreVerilog.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Mark Zimmerman

Santa Clara, CA
Re: Variable error in Corner sims with bdavxl
Reply #2 - Jan 20th, 2009, 10:59am

Thanks for your help...

It turns out that the problem is that BDAVXL is simply incompatible with the Corners tool.  

Well, on to AMS, I guess!

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.