The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 18th, 2024, 11:23am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A Problem on "post layout simulation" of switched-capacitor filter (Read 3135 times)
spree

A Problem on "post layout simulation" of switched-capacitor filter
Jan 14th, 2009, 9:07pm

I design a switched-capacitor filter, simulate its characteristics before layout, then I layout it by Cadence Virtuoso.

Now I want to simulate its characteristics after layout. The transient simulation is OK (by HSPICE), but I occur trouble on the simulation of PAC by SpectreRF.

Initially I rum PSS, the message say " out of memory"(the memory of our work station is 8GB), so I use swapfile command (I consult the document "Simulating Switched-Capacitor Filters with SpectreRF" from www.designers-guide.com/Analysis), then the PSS analysis is complete, no problem.

After PSS, the simulator begins to run PAC, but the problem of insufficient memory happen again. Unfortunately I can not find the similar way to solve this problem.

How to solve this problem? Or the PAC simulation after layout is not necessary; it can not give any more information?

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: A Problem on "post layout simulation" of switched-capacitor filter
Reply #1 - Jan 15th, 2009, 12:47am

What are your tolerance settings?

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: A Problem on "post layout simulation" of switched-capacitor filter
Reply #2 - Jan 15th, 2009, 2:44am

Also, do you have multiple large-signal frequencies in your circuit, leading to a large ratio between the highest frequency and the PSS fundamental?

What is the circuit inventory saying?

Are you saving all currents, or using "subcktprobelvl" option to save currents down the hierarchy? If so, that can lead to a lot of iprobe components in the circuit inventory, which increases the memory consumption considerably. Try turning them off, or set "subcktiprobes=no" (see spectre -h options).

You can also run spectre with the "-64" command line switch to tell it to run in 64 bit mode. Or use setenv CDS_AUTO_64BIT spectre. But I'd only do that if you are simulating sensible things...

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.