The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 20th, 2024, 5:07am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Vgd in breakdown in PSS analysis of VCO (Read 673 times)
gorkhim

San Jose
Vgd in breakdown in PSS analysis of VCO
Jan 22nd, 2009, 11:20pm

Hello,
I am trying to design a VCO with a nanowire transistor (Operating Freq = 100G). Breakdown voltage for the transistor is 1.5V. I used 1V VDD and got 1Vp-p swing for transient analysis. When I started PSS, it gives warning for "Vgd in breakdown." I designed to have 600mVp-p swing and still get the same warning. Does anyone suggest me why I am getting such warnings in PSS not in transient?

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Re: Vgd in breakdown in PSS analysis of VCO
Reply #1 - Jan 22nd, 2009, 11:38pm

Have you tried to plot the transient waveforms from the PSS analysis? I would look at those, including the initial transient results which are not saved by default (you need to enable that option in the PSS form).

I sometimes had the problem that spectre issued a warning about some oxide breaking down etc, but the voltages were never large enough for that. I did not see this in PSS but in plain transient sometimes.

Best regards,

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Re: Vgd in breakdown in PSS analysis of VCO
Reply #2 - Jan 23rd, 2009, 3:27am

gorkhim wrote on Jan 22nd, 2009, 11:20pm:
When I started PSS, it gives warning for "Vgd in breakdown."

If such warnings are reported only during shooting newton iterations, generally you can ignore these warnings.
But if you see such warnings even in steady state, there exists a real problem.

http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1228240587/5#5

View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.