The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 17th, 2024, 10:23am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question on current mirror implementation (Read 3054 times)
kidman
Community Member

Question on current mirror implementation
Jan 31st, 2009, 3:52pm

A current mirror that consists of only 2 transistors won't copy the exact reference current due to channel length modulation. The solution to that is cascoding as well know to shield the mirror from VDS variation and copy the exact reference current.

My question is, is the normal current mirror that's not cascoded used in any practical design? I'm asking this because I'm wondering how does a designer get his circuit working after the PVT variations and so on using the basic current mirror that even without PVT variations will not copy the current accurately.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: Question on current mirror implementation
Reply #1 - Feb 1st, 2009, 12:28pm

They are used all the time. Many applications for a current source do not require either good absolute value, or good PVT stability. Example - the current source under a differential pair can usually function properly with a lot of variance (2X over PVT without problems)

If you are looking for tight tolerance on any circuit, it is going to require adjustment circuits or the architecture needs to be reviewed to get rid of tolerance needs.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #2 - Feb 1st, 2009, 7:51pm

Kidman,

The simple current mirror are often used. That depends on the performance requrements.

Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2009, 3:07am

hi kidman,
                 Based on the application type mirror being used is decided,for example in differential amplifiers if the i/p variations are not much then simple mirror is the first choise,but if u want really high CMRR then u have to go for cascode.again cascode consume a lot of headroom for voltege,in that case high swing mirror is the best choice.This information u can get from razaavi.

Thank you.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
kidman
Community Member

Reply #4 - Feb 5th, 2009, 5:08am

thanks for your i/p guys

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.