The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 19th, 2024, 3:24am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Negative resistance concept in Crystal oscillators (Read 4650 times)
hchanda
Community Member

Negative resistance concept in Crystal oscillators
Feb 13th, 2009, 3:16pm

Hi,

I read lot of papers deriving the negative resistance  of the pierce amplifier based crystal oscillator design. I would like to understand intutively how a common source amplifier with C1 and C2 (which constitutes the cload of XO) would result in negative resistance?

Negative resistance implies that: If the voltage across the terminal is increasing then the current through this is decreasing.

So in the case of pierce amplifier based XO, let say if gate voltage is increased, then the drain current of the transistor increases which reduces the current through capacitor that is connected to drain. (Assuming a current source connected to drain) Since the current through capacitor is decreased is this considered as negative resistance? If this is the explanation then why does the negative resistance decrease when shunt capacitance of XTAL is taken into consideration? I would like to understand this concepts intutively not based on mathematical equations.

hc
View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Re: Negative resistance concept in Crystal oscillators
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2009, 9:05pm

Why is this post "Mixed-Signal Design" issue ? Is there any "Mixed-Signal" ?

hchanda wrote on Feb 13th, 2009, 3:16pm:
I would like to understand this concepts intutively not based on mathematical equations.
I don't know a topology of your negative impedance generator.

Assume an ideal current drive(Iin=1A) of a simple negative impedance generator consisted from C1, C2 and Transistor.
And current of C2 is sum of current of C1 and current from Transistor.
Here former current is equal to Iin, latter current is gm*Voltage_C1 which is 90degree different from Iin.

So there could be negative real part in total sum voltage of C1 and C2.
This can be understood if you draw vector(phasor) diagram of Iin, Vc1, Vc2 and Vc1+Vc2.

« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2009, 2:00am by pancho_hideboo »  
View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2009, 11:35pm

hchanda wrote on Feb 13th, 2009, 3:16pm:
Negative resistance implies that: If the voltage across the terminal is increasing then the current through this is decreasing.

I am afraid that your understanding of a negative resistance is not correct. Look at the definition: Rneg=-V/I  resp.  I=-V/R.
This simply means that the current flows in the opposite direction but its value is identical to the pos. resistor case. A neg. resistor is something like a voltage controlled current source (as a pos. resistor is a voltage controlled current sink) .

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2009, 3:11am

hi,
  i think for your question simple answer is first derive the common source amplifier input impedance with capacitive load,see there is -ve resistance as well as  capacitance.If u can understand this clearly,then crystal oscillator is also similar

thanks,
Rajasekhar

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.