The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 4:35am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
image rejection (Read 1365 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

image rejection
Feb 24th, 2009, 11:50pm

Hi all,

just curious, should we define image rejection ratio only when both the desired signal and the image signal are present? The reason i'm asking is as follows:

Assume your IF section consists of a complex filter and a limiting amplifier. The filter has a gain of 0 dB at the desired frequency and -30 dB at the image frequency. If the limiting amplifier gain is 50 dB, then it can easily saturate the image signal unless desired signal is present as well. BTW, if both are present, will the image signal still be -30 dB relative to the desired signal?

thanks,
Aaron

EDIT:
I thought about it a bit longer and I guess i have to re-phrase my question. If you have a filter followed by a limiting amplifier, then the overall gain will flatten out (won't follow the shape of the filter) somewhat depending on the strength of the out-of-band signals. How does this affect the output with and without an input signal?

« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2009, 4:35am by aaron_do »  

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.