The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 10:23pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need guidence (Read 1850 times)
asim569

Need guidence
Feb 27th, 2009, 7:06pm

Respected and Lucky (Being RF) Professionals,

I am an Electronics Engineer Undergraduate student from GIKI(Pakistan).I am enrolled in 6th semester.I want to pursue my career in RF (because it is very interesting).Radars,Transmitters,Communication systems,Transmitter Chips interests me a lot.I want to be designer of these sort of things.I mean ,I want to be RF design Engineer.My dream job is RF job right after graduation.I want to learn all Pre-requisite of this job during my stay at college.
I will pass all communication and control courses before I graduate.I will learn all following design tools.
HFSS
ADS
AMDS
Microwave Office
I have already learned Matlab and Labview.
I need to ask following questions please guide me.
1)Which design tools ,I am missing?
2)Which courses I should pass(other than communication and control)?
3)Which things I must learn before I apply for this sort of job?
4)Which sort of projects ,I should complete to make me closer to RF design job?
5)Is it possible to complete all Pre-requisites of this job on my own (being a student at University)?Is it possible to be independent in RF design job?
6)To get hand on experience ,I will ask some RF firm to assign me some project and I will complete it as FYP.Which sort of projects are recommended(that make me closer to my aim)?
7)Wich skills,designs are highly respected in this field?
Where I can read recent advancements(startup technologies ,problems) in RF field?
9)What is difference between me (EE about to graduate) and an independent designer?How to abridge this difference?Must I have some training?Which company is best for training?
Any extra advice?
Thanks for your time
Asim,
asim569@gmail.com

View Profile   IP Logged
oermens
Community Member

Re: Need guidence
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2009, 7:23am

asim569 wrote on Feb 27th, 2009, 7:06pm:
1)Which design tools ,I am missing?

Cadence!

2)Which courses I should pass(other than communication and control)?

Anything related to analog, digitial, rf and mixed signal circuits.

3)Which things I must learn before I apply for this sort of job?
4)Which sort of projects ,I should complete to make me closer to RF design job?

amplifier, mixer, feedback, noise, oscillator and pll frequncy synthesizer, adc and dac, different transceiver architectures, etc. just pick up thomas lee's or behzad razavi's rfic book to get an overview.

5)Is it possible to complete all Pre-requisites of this job on my own (being a student at University)?Is it possible to be independent in RF design job?

i doubt it. startup costs are so high. i dont know anyone in the field who doesnt have masters or phd degree.

6)To get hand on experience ,I will ask some RF firm to assign me some project and I will complete it as FYP.Which sort of projects are recommended(that make me closer to my aim)?
7)Wich skills,designs are highly respected in this field?
Where I can read recent advancements(startup technologies ,problems) in RF field?

start reading ieee solid state circuits, circuits and systems I and II to get an idea of what research is being done in the field and find something that interests you.

9)What is difference between me (EE about to graduate) and an independent designer?How to abridge this difference?Must I have some training?Which company is best for training?

experience, knowledge, intuition.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.