The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 9:36pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
loop filter for a PLL design with Frac-N synthesizer and MMIC VCO (Read 1985 times)
slate

Florence, italy
loop filter for a PLL design with Frac-N synthesizer and MMIC VCO
Mar 10th, 2009, 7:13am

Hi everyody guys,  

I'm designing a PLL, operating in the range (2-6 GHz), using a SKY72302 dual Frac-N synth, an Hittite wideband  MMIC VCO (HMC586LC4B) and a fourth order passive loop filter; the problem is that the VCO's data sheet doesn't show the exact Kvco gain ( i only have a plot thet describes Vtune VS Freq and i can estimate something around 300 MHz/V) and i dont know the exact charge pump current.

Is there anyone has already used these components and can tell me the Icp i have to set?
Is the typical value (found on several papers) of 1mA correct for my application?

I hope my description is clear enough, contact me if u have more questions Wink

ps. the other parameters used for the designing of the loop filter are:
UGBW = 80 KHz, Fvco = 3.8 GHz, Fref = 24 MHz.

Best regards, Slate

View Profile   IP Logged
rfmems

Re: loop filter for a PLL design with Frac-N synthesizer and MMIC VCO
Reply #1 - Apr 16th, 2009, 6:25am

Hi Slate,

I think you question is really difficult to answer since I don't know where you are stuck.

I would suggest you read some pll books (chapters or even application notes), get all the formulae at hand. Then post your questions when you find some thing difficult to solve or understand.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.