The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 18th, 2024, 9:26am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
what is the relation between corner frequency and damping factor (Read 1794 times)
Mallikarjunarao T

what is the relation between corner frequency and damping factor
Mar 19th, 2009, 3:22am

Hai,

I have small doubt, can you explain any one please. what is the relation between corner frequency and damping factor(critical,underdamped and overdamped)  which one is better for design and at what values ??

Regards,
Mallikarjunarao T

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Re: what is the relation between corner frequency and damping factor
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2009, 5:53am

Mallikarjunarao T wrote on Mar 19th, 2009, 3:22am:
what is the relation between corner frequency and damping factor(critical,underdamped and overdamped)  which one is better for design and at what values ??
What do you mean as "corner frequency" ?
What circuit or function do you mean ? Loop Filter of PLL ?

View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2009, 7:05am

Mallikarjunarao T wrote on Mar 19th, 2009, 3:22am:
Hai,

I have small doubt, can you explain any one please. what is the relation between corner frequency and damping factor(critical,underdamped and overdamped)  which one is better for design and at what values ??

Regards,
Mallikarjunarao T

There is NO relation between damping factor and 3-dB-corner frequency.
Take a lowpass of 2nd order as an example:
(1) the damping factor d determines if - and if yes - how large the overshoot of the step response will be and how long the settling time of the damped wave is. This factor is inversely proportional to the pole Q.
In the frequency domain the peaking of the transfer curve in the region of the pole frequency is proportional to the pole Q=1/2d  

(2) The 3db-corner frequency is approximately equal to the pole frequency (for Q=0,7071 , d=0.7071 both are identical). This is the FREQUENCY of the damped step response, but has nothing to do with its duration (damping).

I forgot to recommend some values:
In case you like a good compromize between acceptable overshoot and no peaking in the 2nd order transfer curve d=0.707 (Butterworth approximation) is used very often. But any value around d=0.7 looks good.

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #3 - Mar 19th, 2009, 7:10am

If this corner frequency is for phase noise characteristics of PLL, there is a relation with Q or damping factor.

View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
Peruzzi
Community Member

Reply #4 - Mar 19th, 2009, 11:02am

Mallikarjunarao T,

I started to write a quick explanation of damping factor versus corner frequency but paused and did a quick Google search of "second order transfer functions".  There are so many examples and tutorials you can find in a few seconds, written better than I could in the time I'm willing to give.

So I encourage you to use Google, skim a few articles, then sit down for an hour or two with your chosen tutorial and an open Matlab session and become an expert.

Best of luck,

Bob Peruzzi

View Profile   IP Logged
Mallikarjunarao T

Reply #5 - Mar 20th, 2009, 7:32am

Hai ,

Corner frequency means w0 . I asked generally for any circuit ????

With Regards,
Mallikarjunarao T

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #6 - Mar 20th, 2009, 8:40am

Mallikarjunarao T wrote on Mar 20th, 2009, 7:32am:
Hai ,

Corner frequency means w0 . I asked generally for any circuit ????

With Regards,
Mallikarjunarao T

Mallikarjunarao T,

The name "w0" can mean a lot (pole frequ, natural frequ, corner frequ, center frequ,......)
That means, we learn NOTHING from you by using only a symbol !
You must spend some time and place and use a description which is as complete as necessary to understand your problem.
In addition, see my contribution from yesterday. I told you that there is NO relation between damping and corner frequency.
As a good example, take a low pass 2nd order:
It can have a damping factor of 0.707 (Butterworth response) and at the same time a corner frequency of 1 Hz or 100 MHz.

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #7 - Mar 20th, 2009, 10:35pm

hi,
   i understand w0 means natural  frequency of  undamped second order system.There is no relationship between these two term,in fact there shouldn't.if so system becomes non linear because damping factor is like control input to oscillator(like when it is very low it will oscillate,when is very high it wont oscillate) and natural frequency indicate at what frequency it has to oscillate(lets take an oscillator...its oscillating frequency is any where depends on the design,but damping factor should be ideally zero..i guess conveys you that there is no relationship between these two ).
  And another thing up to my knowledge there is no need to find all these damping factor,Quality factor..because these are the another way of quantifying the pole location.
 but there is a relation between damping factor and oscillating frequency of well damped system..this u can appreciate from some text books
  I hope i delivered some use full stuff to you..let me know any issue's or clarification's

Thanks,
rajasekhar

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Mallikarjunarao T

Reply #8 - Mar 23rd, 2009, 9:03am

Thanks to buddypoor and raja.cedt for giving of valid information to me.

Best Regards,
Mallikarjunarao T

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #9 - Apr 5th, 2009, 5:19pm

I would dig out a book on control systems and keep it handy. Stick a copy of a book on continuous time filtering nearby.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.