The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 4th, 2024, 3:49am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What is the meaning of the Harmonic number in PAC mixer simulations (Read 3613 times)
DoYouLinux
Community Member

What is the meaning of the Harmonic number in PAC mixer simulations
Mar 19th, 2009, 4:22am

Hi all,

I am reading a document indicating how to simulate mixers in Cadence. In the direct plot form of the PAC, in the output harmonic windows, as shown in the attached picture, there are harmonics number in one column and frequency in the other column. I really don't know the meaning of the number in the left column. In this example, the LO frequency is 5 GHz and the RF is 5.001 GHz. I think "0" means the RF frequency, "-1" means the mixed-down product (5.001 - 5), "1" is the mixed-up product (5.001+5), but I don't know about the "2" and "-2". I actually would like to know how the number in the left column related to the frequency in the right column.

Could someone suggest me please ???  ;)

Thanks a lot,

DYL

PAC.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Re: What is the meaning of the Harmonic number in PAC mixer simulations
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2009, 5:08am

Those frequencies are the mixing products of the RF frequency with the LO harmonics: f=|fRF+n×fLO|

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
DoYouLinux
Community Member

Reply #2 - Mar 20th, 2009, 4:01am

Oh, I see now  ;D Thank you very much Frank  8-)

DYL

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #3 - Mar 22nd, 2009, 11:03pm

With PAC, you specify an input frequency (or commonly a sweep of input frequency) in the analysis. You also specify the maximum number of sidebands you want the analysis to compute.

The simulator will then produce outputs at Fin+k*Fpss where k is the "harmonic" number (I think it should really be called sideband, but that's the way it is), and Fpss is the fundamental for the PSS analysis. So -2 and +2 are the input frequency shifted by +/- 2 times the PSS fundamental.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.