The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 18th, 2024, 3:14pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
noise aliasing (Read 110 times)
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
noise aliasing
Apr 09th, 2009, 3:44am

hi,
   i am new to sample and hold circuits,just i am reading the basics, mean while i got this doubt.When we are sampling with above the Nyquist rate,output noise spectrum will be white and with variance kt/c, because we are sampling uncorrelated noise.If we are sampling below Nyquist rate then probably we will sample correlated noise and we wont get white,my question is what it's shape?even though it is not the general case i feel there are lot of interesting things inside,so can any body please explain this or direct any reference.
Thanks,
Rajasekhar.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Peruzzi
Community Member

Re: noise aliasing
Reply #1 - Apr 9th, 2009, 7:16am

You can have some fun while getting an intuitive feel for wide-band noise aliasing using Spectre's transient noise simulation, if you have the time and the circuit isn't too big.  Or better yest, create analog behavioral models for your system.  Also create a transient noise source which you can parameterize and insert where appropriate.

You'll be able to see the noise in the time domain, and with Fourier analysis, see its spectrum too.  At different points in the circuit.  I've done this before  and got results which correlated nicely with lab measurements.

A Google search will turn up several papers, or you may contact me directly for further information.

Bob Peruzzi
www.RPeruzzi.com

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Re: noise aliasing
Reply #2 - Apr 11th, 2009, 7:36am

Hi Rajasekhar,

You might also want to take a look at:

http://www.designers-guide.org/Analysis/sc-filters.pdf   and
"Design-Oriented Estimation of Thermal Noise in Switched-Capacitor Circuits" R.  Schreirer, IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON CIRCUITS AND SYSTEMS—I: REGULAR PAPERS, VOL. 52, NO. 11, NOVEMBER 2005

These two references describe the aliasing processes for white input noise in a basic sample and hold circuit.

Hope this helps
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.