The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 19th, 2024, 11:19am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
[ECE264][Q1] Regarding the parasitic pole location in the Triple-Cascode Opamp? (Read 148 times)
NiceFeng

[ECE264][Q1] Regarding the parasitic pole location in the Triple-Cascode Opamp?
Apr 12th, 2009, 12:46am

Dear All,

I am studying the lecture notes of ECE264 from USD by Prof.Song.

In the slide talking about the Triple-Cascode Opamp (TCO), it is interesting to find the impedance of each node is pretty high, ½ro(gmro)2 for the output node, and ½ro(gmro) for the node where parasitical pole locates.

I am a little bit confusing that the parasitical pole location should be around 1/(½ro(gmro) Cp). But it is indicated in the slide the pole is locating at gm/Cp.

Could anyone explain it to me?

Thanks a lot!

Feng

TCO.GIF
View Profile   IP Logged
nobody
Community Member

Re: [ECE264][Q1] Regarding the parasitic pole location in the Triple-Cascode Opamp?
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2009, 2:03am

Rp|LF=½ro(gmro), Rp|HF=1/gm
Therefore, the pole is located @ gm/Cp.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: [ECE264][Q1] Regarding the parasitic pole location in the Triple-Cascode Opamp?
Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2009, 6:02am

hi,
   i think the impedance's what you have shown in the slides are at the dc,but as soon as you cross dominant pole output load cap will start dominant and impedances at other nodes  are 1/gm, so pole's  are at gm/cp.This assumption holds good if cl/cp is very high, otherwise above approximation won't work ..

Thanks,
Rajasekhar.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
NiceFeng

Reply #3 - Apr 18th, 2009, 9:42am

Hi,Rajasekhar,

Thanks for your explanations.

This question reflects one of my misunderstanding points on pole/zero estimation. I always estimated that based on the DC impedance, which is not always true. Actually the second pole in this op-amp is frequency dependant.

Regards,
Feng

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.