The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 18th, 2024, 5:00pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to simulate RF-LO leakage in a double-balanced mixer (Read 2777 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

How to simulate RF-LO leakage in a double-balanced mixer
Apr 22nd, 2009, 8:54pm

Hi all,

I want to simulate the RF-LO leakage in a double balanced mixer. Can anybody give me hints on what sort of simulation to run?

I guess I should be running a PSS + PAC analysis with a small signal at the RF port, but because the circuit is balanced, I don't expect to see much RF-LO leakage without adding some circuit mismatch. So i'm thinking I need to run a monte-carlo analysis. Unfortunately, I don't see a statistics block in the model file and when I try to run a monte-carlo analysis I get an error saying there is no statistics block.

So I have some basic questions.

1) Can I simply add statistics to the model file and if so, how can I go about doing that?

2) Does the monte-carlo analysis also include mismatch between transistors which use the same model file?

3) Assuming I have to use monte-carlo, does anybody have a good tutorial document on how to go about setting it up?

4) If not monte-carlo, how else can I go about simulating the leakage?

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Re: How to simulate RF-LO leakage in a double-balanced mixer
Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2009, 6:30am

aaron_do wrote on Apr 22nd, 2009, 8:54pm:
I guess I should be running a PSS + PAC analysis with a small signal at the RF port, but because the circuit is balanced, I don't expect to see much RF-LO leakage without adding some circuit mismatch. So i'm thinking I need to run a monte-carlo analysis.
I don't use monte-carlo analysis.

1) Can I simply add statistics to the model file and if so, how can I go about doing that?
Model files of major design kits are very helpful. Here you have to forge parameters.

2) Does the monte-carlo analysis also include mismatch between transistors which use the same model file?
Yes it does.

3) Assuming I have to use monte-carlo, does anybody have a good tutorial document on how to go about setting it up?
I don't know.
Maybe the following is not useful at all.
http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/5990-3609EN.pdf

4) If not monte-carlo, how else can I go about simulating the leakage?
I simulate only worst case for pair mismatch. Here I forge parameters.

View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #2 - Apr 23rd, 2009, 7:33pm

Hi pancho_hideboo,

Quote:
I simulate only worst case for pair mismatch. Here I forge parameters.

could you elaborate on how you forge parameters?

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Apr 23rd, 2009, 11:44pm

For advice on Monte Carlo, check out http://www.designers-guide.org/Modeling/montecarlo.pdf.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.