The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 18th, 2024, 9:20am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Problem designing a simple common source amp (Read 2040 times)
kidman
Community Member

Problem designing a simple common source amp
May 18th, 2009, 4:21am

I have attached a PDF file explaining everything because I show lots of plots. Please download it and see. I think anyone here can know the problem easily because its just a simple common source. Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
wave

Silicon Valley
Re: Problem designing a simple common source amp
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2009, 9:26am

Re-read you problem.  It asks for output of 0.3-0.9V, not input range.
That is the large signal range.  Input should be small signal.
Vo/gain = 0.6/30 = 20mV, pretty small.

You need to pick a Vgate, so that Vgs > Vth, for all 20mV range.

Wave

View Profile   IP Logged
ndnger

Los Angeles
Re: Problem designing a simple common source amp
Reply #2 - May 19th, 2009, 12:54am

Hey Kidman,

You haven't taken care of the DC biasing of your circuit. When you use an ideal current source on top of the NMOS, it forces the NMOS current to equal the DC current at all input levels. Hence for low values of Vin, your Vout shoots up to 20 V !! The device is operating in subthreshold region with a large Vds to support the ideal current bias value. Your design has a gain of 30 under ideal DC current bias for a particular value of Vgs and Vds ~ 0.2V.

When you use the PMOS load, you get the inverter like characteristics and Vout Vs Vin is not the same as what you got with ideal current bias. ro is a function of Vds and when your amplifier is in high gain region Vds is > 0.2V and hence ro is large now. What you need to do your design with a PMOS load as it affects your DC characteristics and also gain and BW.

View Profile WWW ndnger nitinx_in   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.