The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 18th, 2024, 6:44am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Assura procfile and p2lvsfile (Read 15793 times)
jenand

Assura procfile and p2lvsfile
May 30th, 2009, 11:18am

Hello all,
I was using the VPCM in Cadence to synthesize my inductors in my old AMS technology. Now I have to migrate my design to a new technology (IBM 0.13 8RF CMOS) where the foundry specifically does not provide the "procfile" and the "p2lvsfile". Since I have the substrate information for ADS Momentum available, I tried to write the 2 files myself, taking the files from the other technology as a template. Unfortunately, I seem to have made a mistake somewhere, because whenever I try to load the files in the VPCM tool, it crashes. Therefore my questions:
1) Can anybody provide me more information on the syntax used in the procfile and the p2lvsfile?
2) How do a find out the correct layer mapping for the p2lvsfile (I tried to look in the technology file, but was not sure which layers I have to use)?

Any other hints and/or suggestions are also highly appreciated. Somewhere I also read that the procfile might be encrypted and that you can view it using Assura. If anybody can comment more on that, please let me know.

Best,
Jens

View Profile   IP Logged
oermens
Community Member

Re: Assura procfile and p2lvsfile
Reply #1 - May 30th, 2009, 9:59pm

im using the same kit and i use vpcd. heres how:

in icfb, tools>pcd. then pcd>configuration. library is a folder created with cmos8rf techfile, run directory is ., assura process data directory is /IBM_PDK/cmrf8sf/rel/Assura/QRC/32 (or RCX if you're pre-1.5.0.0). then in pcd you have to save a new techfile since the procfile from IBM is encrypted and it includes layers which are not for inductors (beol resistor, mim and dualmim caps). in the techfile tab choose internal format then save and give it a filename like cmrf8sf.tlib. then hit load and open cmrf8sf.tlib. now you sohuld have only the metal layers which would be used for inductors.

theres still some work to make the pcd inductors DRC legal.  From MOSIS:

Instantiate a similar IBM pcell inductor somewhere, flatten it, and study
it carefully.  Your job will be to "mimic" all the layers found in
that pcell, as there are a few important "dummy" layers which control
the generation of fill.  Don't extend those layers any farther than the
pcell does;  include them all; note that density requirements of the
MA and E1 layers will be met by the coils themselves, but the LY layer
is a problem and you must be aggressive in placing as much DRC-legal
but tight and dense LY around the periphery of the inductor,
else there will be problems.  The four "corners" of the bounding box
are usually empty so you should pack them with LY fill.

I'm pretty sure QRC is separate from the basekit, so you'll have to get it from MOSIS document server (if you are a customer). you can also ask your questions at MOSIS user group, http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MOSIS_Users_Group/, since a lot of people there discuss this kit.

View Profile   IP Logged
jenand

Reply #2 - Jun 3rd, 2009, 8:49am

Thanks for your answer. It took me some time to install the QRC kit (I also updated to v1.6 of the design kit) but now this is working. Unfortunately, when I try to follow the procedure you suggest, I get a lot of warning messages when I save the process file to internal format (you say I should save the techfile to internal format but I do not see this option in the PCD):
WARNING: No via information. No check has been done.
When I load the .tlib file the p2lvsfile is displayed as N/A and ther Process Layer tab is empty. Apparently, I'm doing something wrong but I don't see where. Maybe you, or anyone else, can help me out here.

Thanks in advance,
Jens

View Profile   IP Logged
oermens
Community Member

Reply #3 - Jun 3rd, 2009, 11:27am

Here's the procedure I follow:
ICFB>Tools>PCD
ICFB>PCD>Configuration
  Library Name: (library that you created via ICFB>IBM_PDK>Library>Create)
  Run Directory: .
  Process Data Directory: /IBM_PDK/cmrf8sf/rel/Assura/QRC/32 (whatever your path is)
In VPCD, click on Techfile tab, select Internal Format, hit Save and give the file a name (such as cmosp13.tlib), then hit Load and load that file.

Sorry I wasn't in front of Cadence when I wrote my reply before, I just did it off the top of my head.

I'm using V1.5.0.1DM, we didn't upgrade to V1.6 b/c we've been advised to wait until the July22 MPW submission to upgrade.

Have you been able to use QRC to extract? I followed qrcxUser.pdf for setting up QRC but I can't load the technology information even though assura_tech.lib is in my local folder and I can set up Assura DRC/LVS without issue.

View Profile   IP Logged
jenand

Reply #4 - Jun 4th, 2009, 3:29am

Thanks for your reply.
I tried to follow your procedure, but in the generated .tlib file there are some metal layers missing (actually they are poorly defined, i.e. wrong name and wrong Layernomber) and some useless layers are also present (e.g. the MIMcap layers). When I edit the *.tlib file by hand it does not recognize all my changes (now it displays 4 of the 8 metal layers correctly in the PCD process layer tab but no via layers at all. I'm starting to become frustrated Smiley.

You don't have to perform any manual changes on the generated .tlib file?

View Profile   IP Logged
jenand

Reply #5 - Jun 4th, 2009, 3:40am

I think the problem is the #order column. The numbers for the metal layers are assigned a second time for the dielectric layers. Is this also the case in your file, or are all numbers uniquely assigned?

Thanks in advance,
Jens

View Profile   IP Logged
oermens
Community Member

Reply #6 - Jun 4th, 2009, 6:32am

Hi,

I'm looking at my techfile now. I'm using the 3-2-3 metallization option, so the layers I have are M1-M2-M3-MG-MQ-LY-E1-MA. When I used previous versions of the kit, I would get different results when converting the encrypted procfile to internal tlib format (i.e. I'd only get the top 5 out of 8 layers) but I didn't care so much because as long as I get the RF metals I'm happy. Then I can always export to momentum and verify the results. I just happened to get lucky with V1.5.0.1DM kit and the conversion gives me all the right layers. I didn't edit anything myself.

I don't know much about the procfile format, but in my .tlib I see that the same numbers are used in the METAL and DIELECTRIC sections, so I don't think thats the issue. Try generating the .tlib using V1.5.0.1DM (if you have it installed still). Unfortunately MOSIS/IBM don't support this tool specifically, the best they can do is tell you how to make custom designs DRC legal as I mentioned in my first post.

View Profile   IP Logged
jenand

Reply #7 - Jun 4th, 2009, 8:01am

Hi,
unfortunately I didn't download the QRC files for the V1.5 design kit. My current status is that I get the PC, M1, M2, M3 and MA layers right, but no vias. So I cannot do anything regarding synthesis. I will try a bit more but I'm running out of ideas. Maybe I try to write a real procfile myself taking the ADS momentum dielectric data for the ILDs.

Anyway, I'll keep trying until I get something to work Smiley.

Thanks a lot for your help and I'll keep you updated if I make some progress.

View Profile   IP Logged
jenand

Reply #8 - Jun 4th, 2009, 8:12am

Ok, I can synthesize inductors in M1-M3 now (not very exciting). The vias are taking from the viaLayer section of the techfile. So they won't appear in the Process Layers tab. Still I don't know how to get the missing metal layers to work (MQ, MG, LY and E1).

View Profile   IP Logged
jenand

Reply #9 - Jun 4th, 2009, 8:23am

Works, if I just take the encrypted file and load it. I have all those useless layers, but still I can synthesize the inductors without problems. No I'll start making them LVS clean. Which, I guess, will be at least as much fun as synthesizing them. Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
oermens
Community Member

Reply #10 - Jun 4th, 2009, 10:13am

You're right, you don't need to do all the exporting to internal format. When I first started using PCD I was using an older version of MMSIM, and it forced me to have winding and bridge layers on successive layers. So I couldn't do MA winding and E1 bridge because L1 was in the middle. I guess the newer versions don't have that requirement. Nice find.

View Profile   IP Logged
jenand

Reply #11 - Jun 15th, 2009, 4:25am

Coil synthesize works fine now and I can also simulate the synthesized coils in ADS without problems. Just out of curiosity: did anybody manage to get the EMSS tool to work in Cadence with the IBM 0.13 CMOS technology? When I try to load my gdsII files into the tool I get many warnings that layers (including the metal layers used for the coil) could not be mapped because they are missing in the p2lvs file.

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #12 - Jun 15th, 2009, 4:40am

jenand wrote on Jun 15th, 2009, 4:25am:
Just out of curiosity: did anybody manage to get the EMSS tool to work in Cadence with the IBM 0.13 CMOS technology?
EMSS of Cadence is not reliable.

You had better use Agilent Momentum in RFDE or GoldenGate.
http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1169632704/8#8
http://www.edaboard.com/viewtopic.php?t=335639
http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1244552575/3#3

View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
oermens
Community Member

Reply #13 - Jun 26th, 2009, 3:49am

I tried EMSS once with CMOS8RF, it just hangs when it starts building the green functions library (or at least doesn't update the progress bar). I left it running for 40mins and it sat at 0%. But as pancho_hideboo mentioned, its best to use Momentum.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.