The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 19th, 2024, 12:26pm
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
dynamic range of filter (Read 10913 times)
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: dynamic range of filter
Reply #15 - Jun 02nd, 2009, 1:09am

hi vivkr,
             that relation i gave will work for active filters and whatever, because in that thesis he proved for class A and class AB power amplifiers.Please correct me if am wrong.

Thanks,
Rajasekhar.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #16 - Jun 2nd, 2009, 1:51am

Hi Rajasekhar,

he didn't actually prove the formula, he simply showed scenarios where it worked. A theory can only be disproven by (counter) example.

That said, I think the formula is much more relavant for companding filters which is the subject of the thesis. The reason is because companding filters have high output signal swings (output of the inner filter) for most of the dynamic range while conventional active filters such as linear active-RC filters only have high output swings when the input signal is large. You have to remember that a conventional active filter will not have high output SNR when the signal is small while a companding filter will have very high gain when the signal is small and thus achieve significant SNR gains.

When I gave you the example using equation A.19 I assumed an output SNR of 10 dB, however, this thesis is talking about an output SNR of 54 dB which is nearly 20000 times higher. A conventional filter cannot achieve 54 dB SNR over a very wide dynamic range (58 dB in this case).

BTW this is really an excellent thesis so thanks so much for showing it to me,

cheers,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #17 - Jun 2nd, 2009, 2:30am

hi aaron_do,
                    thanks, i will work out and tell you.
Thanks,
rajasekhar.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Asmodeus

Reply #18 - Jun 19th, 2009, 1:49am

i feel  dynamic range n SNR are same, provided their is no noise source other than the ckt itself.
SNR takes into account other noises too, apart from the intrinsic noise of MOSFET.

Based on it, i guess DR is always greater than or equal to SNR Smiley

~VJ~
View Profile Asmodeus   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.