The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 17th, 2024, 3:17am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Noise optimization for LNA (Read 1503 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Noise optimization for LNA
Jun 03rd, 2009, 2:38am

Hi all,

In my receiver design, I thought it would be a good idea to provide a separate ground pin for the LNA in order to improve prevent noise coupling through the ground line and substrate from other blocks. I should mention that in fact all blocks share the same substrate, but I do have the option of isolating the LNA with deep n-well.

So my questions are (assume ground 1 is the LNA ground, ground 2 is the rest of the blocks ground):

1) Should I connect the substrate around the LNA to ground 1 or ground 2?

2) The inductor has a patterned ground shield as part of the PDK. Should I connect this to the ground 1 or gound 2?

3) How should I isolate the LNA from the rest of the receiver? I am currently using P+ diffusion connected to ground 1 (should I use ground 2?). I have the option of using deep n-well.

4) Should I be using any isolation around the incoming RF lines for the LNA? If so, how?

Any other tips on how to get this grouding done properly would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.