The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 20th, 2024, 12:32am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MIM layout queries (Read 3674 times)
Dipankar
Community Member

MIM layout queries
Jun 05th, 2009, 10:25am

Dear All,

Need your help regarding following queries .

q1. Is it a strict "NO" to run any metal layer below MIM? (In my case MIM is between m6 and m5)

q2. If the answer to q1. is yes then is it safe to define dummy blockage layer on the top of mim to protect that area from dummy insertion by Foundry ?

q3. Is providing some shielding layer beneath MIM is necessary ? If yes then which layer ? N-well ? plz suggest ?

With Thanks and Regards,
Dipankar.
View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Re: MIM layout queries
Reply #1 - Jun 16th, 2009, 7:43pm

Quote:
q1. Is it a strict "NO" to run any metal layer below MIM? (In my case MIM is between m6 and m5)

It is a strict "NO".

Quote:
q2. If the answer to q1. is yes then is it safe to define dummy blockage layer on the top of mim to protect that area from dummy insertion by Foundry ?

Yes.

Quote:
q3. Is providing some shielding layer beneath MIM is necessary ? If yes then which layer ? N-well ? plz suggest ?

No.

View Profile   IP Logged
Dipankar
Community Member

Reply #2 - Jun 20th, 2009, 5:54am

Dear Sir,

Can you please illustrate why running any other metal line beneath MIM is not a good practice ? Actually  I have m1 routing at some places beneath MIM (it's  between m6 and m5) and it does not violate drc.

With Thanks and Regards,
Dipankar.
View Profile   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Jun 23rd, 2009, 3:42am

I think it is ok to route metal lines underneath a MIM capacitors, if you can except the increased bottom plate capacitance and risk of coupling.
But q3 was referring to shielding what you can do, but is not necessary.

The use of M5/M6 below the MIM is probability prohibited by the fab since it might results in a short in fabrication.

Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
Colbhaidh

Scotland
Reply #4 - Jul 21st, 2009, 4:23am

The is no Fab process limitation to routing metal beneath the bottom plate. The only concern would be coupling as mentioned before.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.