The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 10:16pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
regulator question (Read 2686 times)
AnalogDE

regulator question
Jun 10th, 2009, 6:01pm

I'm building a regulator that will be used as a "controlled" pulldown for a bias node that needs to be pre-charged to VDD in some modes.  This bias node needs to be brought down to a level Vbias, which is what the pulldown regulator is for.  After it has been pulled down, the node is connected back to the bias generator.

The regulator is driving a purely capacitive load (NMOS gates).  Do you guys see any problems with the scheme below?  I've noted that it's possible, because of gate leakage and because there is no DC bias pullup for the node to drift down indefinitely, so the scheme will need to be timed so that leakage will not bring the node too low...  Do you guys see any other issues?

Also, how do I go about performing AC analysis, since there is no DC path for the output node (top of cap)?

regulator.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: regulator question
Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2009, 9:58am

hi jiesteve,
               i didn't understand whats your problem, could you please explain why your using regulator, there are lot more regulator better than this? and why AC analysis is difficult here because you have path from output to ground through pmos.

Thanks,
rajasekhar.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
AnalogDE

Reply #2 - Jun 11th, 2009, 10:01am

I'm using the regulator to bring the top of cap to Vbias.

I think I need to somehow initialize the top of cap for DC bias calculation

View Profile   IP Logged
salty

Austin, Tx
Reply #3 - Jun 11th, 2009, 12:08pm

One issue I see is when the switch is closed to Vdd, your PFET will
be turning on very hard and pulling a lot of current.  Why can't
you put a switch to vbias and switch between vdd and vbias?

View Profile   IP Logged
AnalogDE

Reply #4 - Jun 11th, 2009, 1:24pm

When the switch is closed to VDD, the PFET and regulator are both turned OFF, so there is no DC current draw.

The bias generator is very high impedence, so I need the regulator to slew the cap back down to Vbias.  The bias generator is not fast enough to slew the cap.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.