The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 18th, 2024, 4:23pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
a basic question about SC filter (Read 7315 times)
subgold
Community Member

a basic question about SC filter
Jul 02nd, 2009, 10:24am

i have a simple switched cap filter as in the attachment. since the information is only captured at the end of phase 1, do i need to take care about if the opamp settles at the end of phase 2?

scfilter.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Re: a basic question about SC filter
Reply #1 - Jul 2nd, 2009, 11:48pm

As you have a capacitance which is permanently connected in the feedback loop (you seem to be realizing a lossy integrator with this), it does matter that the opamp settles well in both phases. By the way, is this diagram complete, or are there some more switches which you have omitted for sake of simplicity?

Regards,

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2009, 12:46am

hi,
   whats this ckt actually, because its like variable gain amplifier not filter....

Thanks,
Rajasekhar.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #3 - Jul 3rd, 2009, 1:05am

As already mentioned by VIVEK, I donīt know what the task of the shown circuit could be. A filter ? An integrator ? I donīt think so.

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
manodipan
Community Member

Reply #4 - Jul 3rd, 2009, 2:43am

Hi,
I think it's a high pass filter with cutoff defined by feedback components and gain at infinity defined by unswitched capacitors.now it's important that opamp settles at the end of charge transfer phase otherwise output is erroneaos and will lead to several problems like nonlinearity related distortion etc.you can start with a behavioral model and check filter performance with nonidealities in opamp like finite gain and UGB.

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #5 - Jul 5th, 2009, 4:56pm

manodipan wrote on Jul 3rd, 2009, 2:43am:
Hi,
I think it's a high pass filter with cutoff defined by feedback components and gain at infinity defined by unswitched capacitors.

In order for this ckt to be a HPF, should not the input capacitance have a switch in series with the opamp input clocked with CK1?

Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #6 - Jul 5th, 2009, 10:33pm

Hello SUBGOLD !

Some days ago you have asked a question concerning the function of a specific circuitry - and five community members made up their mind to find the task of the circuit.
Donīt you think now itīs your turn to tell us something about the purpose or the origin of the circuit ?
Or are you not interested anymore ?
Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
subgold
Community Member

Reply #7 - Jul 6th, 2009, 5:48am

buddypoor wrote on Jul 5th, 2009, 10:33pm:
Hello SUBGOLD !

Some days ago you have asked a question concerning the function of a specific circuitry - and five community members made up their mind to find the task of the circuit.
Donīt you think now itīs your turn to tell us something about the purpose or the origin of the circuit ?
Or are you not interested anymore ?
Regards

hi,
sorry for the late reply because i didn't get online during the weekend.

as already pointed out by manodipan, i don't see why this circuit cannot be used as a HPF.

if the input cap is also a switched cap as Tosei suggested, then it seems to be a LPF.

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #8 - Jul 7th, 2009, 2:32pm

Hi subgold,

Actually I was not suggesting the input cap was a switched cap. I was only suggesting a switch in series with it and the input of the opamp. that would provide sampling on your input cap and still perform a HPF action. Since there would be no reset during ck2 on such cap then it would not act as a resistor in average (in which case then you would get a LPF).

I agree that not switching the input cap performs HPF action, but without a sampled input (as opposed to what I was suggesting). Therefore you have a continuous-time output and I do not see why the opamp needs special settling requirements during ck2 (reset phase).

Regards
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #9 - Jul 8th, 2009, 12:29am

Besides the question of transfer characteristics, I am afraid the circuit as shown will exhibit severe bias point problems due to the 2 non-switched capacitors.
Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
subgold
Community Member

Reply #10 - Jul 9th, 2009, 2:45am

HdrChopper wrote on Jul 7th, 2009, 2:32pm:
Hi subgold,

Actually I was not suggesting the input cap was a switched cap. I was only suggesting a switch in series with it and the input of the opamp. that would provide sampling on your input cap and still perform a HPF action. Since there would be no reset during ck2 on such cap then it would not act as a resistor in average (in which case then you would get a LPF).

I agree that not switching the input cap performs HPF action, but without a sampled input (as opposed to what I was suggesting). Therefore you have a continuous-time output and I do not see why the opamp needs special settling requirements during ck2 (reset phase).

Regards
Tosei

Hi Tosei,

that's exactly my question.

do you mean for the shown schematic (no sampling on the input cap), it is not necessary to settle in ck2? other replies of this topic suggested it should, which is also what i thought at first. because although the information is only sampled in the end of ck1, the capacitor should also get the correct charge in ck2, in order to further process the information in ck1.

View Profile   IP Logged
subgold
Community Member

Reply #11 - Jul 9th, 2009, 2:59am

buddypoor wrote on Jul 8th, 2009, 12:29am:
Besides the question of transfer characteristics, I am afraid the circuit as shown will exhibit severe bias point problems due to the 2 non-switched capacitors.
Regards

hi,

could you please explain your doubt about the transfer function? i think it is a very basic building block for active filters. of course it is a little simplified in order to illustrated the question. in many other cases (e.g. biquad or higher oder filters), there might be feedback caps coming from the following stage, but i thought the conceptual background concerning the settling requirement should be the same.

as for the bias problem, i think we always need some strategies to guarantee the correct biasing for a pure capacitive feedback network, there is nothing special about this circuit compared with other switched cap circuits.

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #12 - Jul 9th, 2009, 2:32pm

Hi subgold,

What I meant is that: since you are supposed to fulfil the settling requirements for clock phase 1, then settling requirements for clock phase 2 will be already covered since there is no sampling nor charge redistribution during that phase. Therefore the requirements are not as stringent as during clock phase 1.

Hope this clarify my viewpoint.
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.