The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 19th, 2024, 8:27pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
digital component in CPPLL (Read 6997 times)
heaven_wb

digital component in CPPLL
Jul 06th, 2009, 1:54pm

I am designing a integer N frequency synthesizer based on CPPLL. I am confused how to design digital component. For example, PFD actually consists of D-FF and some gates. Shall I design it by verilog then synthesize it or design it in transistor level as usual? In addition, for divider, there is the same problem. The value of divider is about 2400. Is Verilog-A useful for this situation? Thank you very much.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: digital component in CPPLL
Reply #1 - Jul 6th, 2009, 9:24pm

hi,
   it depends on your operating frequency, generally synthesized block wont work at high frequency..may be PFD will work because it is working at reference frequency, but divider has to  work at high frequency

Thanks,
Rajasekhar.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
heaven_wb

Reply #2 - Jul 7th, 2009, 12:57pm

Thank you very much. The reference frequency is 1 MHz, the output frequency is 2.4GHz. another problem: can I design divider by Verilog-A? The simulator is cadence spectre. the simulation with Verilog-A seems to run, but I don't know how to deal with the information about circuit speed. verilog-A is just for simulation in mixed-signal design or can be used be synthesized into circuit? Thank you very much.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #3 - Jul 7th, 2009, 10:26pm

it is always better not to use synthesized ckts in plls..if you want you can try for PFD..but not for divider.

Thanks,
Rajasekhar.

heaven_wb

Reply #4 - Jul 8th, 2009, 12:04pm

OK, Thank you very much. I will follow your idea.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #5 - Jul 8th, 2009, 9:44pm

And one more thing why you are using 2400 divider (its too big), don't you have high reference frequency...because aftre your you may see very bad noise performance from PLL.

thanks,
Rajasekhar.

heaven_wb

Reply #6 - Jul 9th, 2009, 5:58am

Thank you very much. We will pay attention to it. Because our architecture is interger N not franctional, but we need 1-MHz spacing frequency and 2.4GHz output frequency. So the reference frequency could be only 1MHz, and divider is 2400.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #7 - Jul 9th, 2009, 9:26am

k that's fine for what application this pll..and you could have use Fractional

Thanks,
Rajasekhar.

wave

Silicon Valley
Reply #8 - Jul 9th, 2009, 10:03am

heaven_wb wrote on Jul 6th, 2009, 1:54pm:
I am designing a integer N frequency synthesizer based on CPPLL. I am confused how to design digital component. For example, PFD actually consists of D-FF and some gates. Shall I design it by verilog then synthesize it or design it in transistor level as usual? In addition, for divider, there is the same problem. The value of divider is about 2400. Is Verilog-A useful for this situation? Thank you very much.

From the question, I'd suggest you find a mentor who has gone thru this before.  
The PFD should be custom not synthesized with standard cells.  For jitter and lock, you have dead zones and rise/fall symmetry to worry about.
Depending on process, you'll probably need custom dividers for the first few stages (ie, CML), until standard logic is fast enough.  Probably best to use custom cells there too.

I agree you'll want a higher Refclk frequency.  Maybe 100MHz.  
I haven't worked with Frac-N much, but sounds like a way to go.

Certainly you can and should do higher level modeling of all and parts of the loop --- matlab, verilog/verilogA, etc.

Good luck.
Wave
Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
oermens
Community Member

Reply #9 - Jul 9th, 2009, 3:05pm

wave wrote on Jul 9th, 2009, 10:03am:
Depending on process, you'll probably need custom dividers for the first few stages (ie, CML), until standard logic is fast enough.

How do we determine this? Hypothetical situation: Lets say I need to divide by 128 and my frequency is 3200MHz, do i start with all std logic and if the first stage does not operate fast enough, replace it with high speed logic and so on until the std logic is sufficient? Is there some empirical result we can use?

View Profile   IP Logged
wave

Silicon Valley
Reply #10 - Jul 9th, 2009, 4:02pm

oermens wrote on Jul 9th, 2009, 3:05pm:
wave wrote on Jul 9th, 2009, 10:03am:
Depending on process, you'll probably need custom dividers for the first few stages (ie, CML), until standard logic is fast enough.

How do we determine this? Hypothetical situation: Lets say I need to divide by 128 and my frequency is 3200MHz, do i start with all std logic and if the first stage does not operate fast enough, replace it with high speed logic and so on until the std logic is sufficient? Is there some empirical result we can use?

Basically yes.
Consider your f_T and Gm of your PMOS device.  If it's fast enough, you can use standard CMOS gates.  If not, you'll have to go to an NMOS signal path (CML).
"enough" is qualified by slew rate, with picks up noise(s) during a logic transition and creates jitter.  
PLL jitter should not be dominated by a divider.

Wave
Grin

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.