The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 18th, 2024, 8:21pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MOSCAP (Read 1630 times)
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
MOSCAP
Jul 08th, 2009, 4:12am

hi,
   can any body please tell me why moscap is made in N substrate (i knew that we can connect nmos drain and source and it works well, in that case it will be P substrate)

Thanks,
rajasekhar.N

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
solidstate

Munich, Germany
Re: MOSCAP
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2009, 2:19pm

As far as I know, this allows for the moscap to have a dedicated ground terminal; without the nwell, the bottom plate of the moscap would be the substrate, so substrate noise (e.g. from digital logic) could then be coupled in..

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #2 - Jul 8th, 2009, 9:46pm

hi,
   thats fine but they could have put pwell right because then it works like nmos then we can connect  Drain and Source..

Thanks,
rajasekhar.

shashi.kiran

india
Reply #3 - Jul 9th, 2009, 4:39am

if ur using NMOS -CAP it has to be p-sub and PMOS CAP it has to be n-well ..!!..i dont think we use Nmos and n-type substrate ..!!

View Profile   IP Logged
Dipankar
Community Member

Reply #4 - Jul 9th, 2009, 7:01am

Dear All,
             N-Moscap in nwell means you need very low  gate voltage to send the device into strong inversion. So the  C-V does not have accumulation region . With this kind of C-V  (monotonic) a VARACTOR is realized. They call it NMOSCAP-VARACTOR.

With Thanks and Regards,
Dipankar.
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #5 - Jul 9th, 2009, 9:24am

hi,
  i donno weather i am complicating this question or not, but what i thought is it is like having n diffusion's  in nwell,so how inversion will come..i think it will be in accumulation only and works for +ve voltage

Thanks,
Rajasekhar.

shashi.kiran

india
Reply #6 - Jul 9th, 2009, 9:40pm

@ raja

if you apply +ve gate voltage ...how can u say its in accumulation ??...infact it will be inverted ....i guess dipankar got it right ...it should be in inversion with less gate voltage.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #7 - Jul 9th, 2009, 10:18pm

if you apply +ve voltage it will attract all electrons  from nwell..so this is accumulation..how inversion will come?

Dipankar
Community Member

Reply #8 - Jul 10th, 2009, 7:00pm

Dear Raja,

The crux is nmoscap in nwell gives a monotonic CV  curve. That's the motivation behind the structure - creating a mos-varactor.

With Thanks and Regards,
Dipankar.
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.