The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 2:19am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can Spectre Solve the single-end output SC-integrator in PSS ? (Read 2579 times)
larry_suyung

Can Spectre Solve the single-end output SC-integrator in PSS ?
Jul 29th, 2009, 6:22am

Hello, friends
I am trying to use Spectre to get the variance of the output noise of SC-integrator. The circuit is the same as Fig. 4, in Dr.Schreier's 2005 TCAS1 paper as attached.

The first confusing problem is that is if this is an ideal OTA, then even no input, the noise is summed in every cycle. Finally the integrated noise saturates the OTA.  This can be seen in Eq(39) of attached paper.

The sesond question is that even no input, the offset and switch injection keeps the output continually ramping out at every cycle by its integration property. Therefore there is no periodic solution. So How can Spectre get the PSS and PNOISE ? But the manual said Spectre can solve SC-circuits?

Thanks so much...Larry  (SuYung)

View Profile   IP Logged
larry_suyung

Re: Can Spectre Solve the single-end output SC-integrator in PSS ?
Reply #1 - Aug 2nd, 2009, 3:07am

Dear Friends,
I derived the accumation effect of SC integrator, as attached.
The formula is confirmed with the results of W. Ki and G. C. Temes, “Offset-compensated switched-capacitor integrators,”
in Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. Circuits and Systems, May 1990, pp.
2829–2832.

My derived reults consider the offset and finite gain. This derivation is also done in Dr. Murmann's (Stanford) lecture note. But he did not include the finite gain of the OTA.    

From this attached reults, it verified my last post that even no input, the single ended SC-integrator has no "periodic solution". The output goes up at every cycle.  This case is different than Dr. Kendurt's paper of  Simulating switched-capacitor filters with Spectre RF.    

So I wonder how Spectre can handle  this single-ended SC-integrator ?            

Thanks so much to friends.    Larry-SuYung

View Profile   IP Logged
larry_suyung

Re: Can Spectre Solve the single-end output SC-integrator in PSS ?
Reply #2 - Aug 13th, 2009, 4:31am

Dear Friends,
I have to tune the input down to several digits to have PSS of a open loop SC integrator worked.

Maybe we should use close loop for SC integrator not open loop .  Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.