The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Oct 21st, 2024, 9:13am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pole at the cascode node (Read 3883 times)
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Pole at the cascode node
Aug 24th, 2009, 5:57am

hi,
   can any body explain why pole at the cascode node is not affecting much in the frequency response as well as settling..(i slightly increased cap at the cascode node and checked)?

Thanks,
Rajasekhar.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Mariusz

Re: Pole at the cascode node
Reply #1 - Aug 24th, 2009, 7:25am

It is a low impedance node.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #2 - Aug 24th, 2009, 8:18pm

hi,
   thats true..but i increased the cap at the that node..still i didn't see much impact...

Thanks

nobody
Community Member

Reply #3 - Aug 24th, 2009, 11:02pm

What if you decrease the size of cascoded device, which means you are going to decrease the gm.

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Aug 25th, 2009, 4:03am

raja.cedt wrote on Aug 24th, 2009, 5:57am:
hi,
   can any body explain why pole at the cascode node is not affecting much in the frequency response as well as settling..(i slightly increased cap at the cascode node and checked)?

Thanks,
Rajasekhar.

The cascode transistor is an impedance transformer with the source end impedance appearing to be about (1+gm*ro) times smaller than the drain end. That works out to around 30 for older processes and around 10 for the modern ones.

Assuming that the poles due to the cascode device are far far away at the moment (10x > unity gain frequency), then you will see a significant change only if you change the load at the source node significantly, maybe by factor 3x-4x or so.

Regards,

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #5 - Aug 25th, 2009, 9:09pm

hi,
   thanks for your replies......but what i feel there is some zero which is canceling that pole.

Thanks,
Rajasekhar.

subgold
Community Member

Reply #6 - Aug 26th, 2009, 5:07am

the first nondominant pole of the amp is located at about gds/cgs of the cascode transistor, it definitely has some influence on the frequency response and settling. a zero may come into play if you connect the bulk and source of the cascode transistor together.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.