The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 24th, 2024, 7:30pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Problems assigning parameterizable values in cell (Cadence ADE) (Read 8574 times)
vivkr
Community Fellow

Problems assigning parameterizable values in cell (Cadence ADE)
Aug 27th, 2009, 7:41am

Hi,

I created a cell with parameterizable components using pPar. Now I try to assign them values in form of a variable for performing a sweep but the values are reset in the form to a number (the last number used).

Could someone tell me how to get around this? I am using the IC6.1 environment of Cadence ICFB.

Thanks,

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
oermens
Community Member

Re: Problems assigning parameterizable values in cell (Cadence ADE)
Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2009, 8:17am

In the Edit CDF Parameter window, there are fields for 'dontSave' and 'editable', did you fill those in mistakenly? I'm not sure what they do so I leave them blank and I have no problem using variables for parameterized devices.

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2009, 4:54am

I have tried not to fill in anything at all. The only thing I had to do, and which I found strange was to add the parameters manually in the CDF. For some reason, they were not created automatically when generating the symbol from the schematic.

It seemed to work fine and I was able to assign values to the parameters and run simulations, but then suddenly, I was unable too. So I have pParam used inside the cellview but no possibility to assign these while instantiating the parameterizable device. Any clues?

Regards,

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #3 - Sep 1st, 2009, 5:59am

Is there any message in the CIW when the values get reset?

Perhaps there is a CDF callback in place which is causing the trouble?

Could you use cdfDump() to dump out the CDF for the problematic cell, to see if it gives any clues? (post it here if you can).

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Sep 8th, 2009, 12:08am

Hi Andrew,

I am a bit delayed in my response but I do see a warning message in the CIW which reads like:

*WARNING* Input value must be a number. Setting back to previous value

Please note that the parameters were not automatically included in the CDF when I created the symbol and I had to add them manually using the CDF editor. At that time, I chose the parameter type as "float" and was forced to specify a default value for each parameter.

Regards,

Vivek

Andrew Beckett wrote on Sep 1st, 2009, 5:59am:
Is there any message in the CIW when the values get reset?

Perhaps there is a CDF callback in place which is causing the trouble?

Could you use cdfDump() to dump out the CDF for the problematic cell, to see if it gives any clues? (post it here if you can).

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #5 - Sep 8th, 2009, 12:16am

I think I need to set the parameter type as "string" in the CDF. Probably that was the issue. Whether it is useful to let the input be parsed as a number or not is unclear to me. For the moment, I am going with the option of not parsing as number and not using any default values for the parameters.

Regards,

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #6 - Sep 8th, 2009, 3:08am

You can find the function of the various CDF parameters in chapter 3 of the Component Description Format User Guide (http://sourcelink.cadence.com/docs/files/Release_Info/Docs/cdfuser/cdfuser6.1/ch...).

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.