The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 21st, 2024, 4:17pm
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
AC simulation for integrate and dump circuit (Read 15644 times)
Mohammed Omar

AC simulation for integrate and dump circuit
Sep 06th, 2009, 3:24pm

Hi All,

I was wondering how to do AC simulation, or get the Frequency response, of an integrate and dump circuit or generally for a linear time-variant circuit in Spectre.

An integrate and dump circuit operates in a periodic manner but to get the AC spectrum using PAC after PSS doesn't seem to give the famous sinc function response.

Regards,
Mohammed Omar

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Re: AC simulation for integrate and dump circuit
Reply #1 - Sep 7th, 2009, 12:38am

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Mohammed Omar

Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2009, 4:53pm

Thanks Frank.

I guess this works for SC circuits and those with periodic operating points. I believe you are pointing me out to choose a correct phase of the PSS analysis. But will this analysis be valid for integrate and dump circuit? What about general time-varying circuits?

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2009, 11:46pm

PSS analysis and the associated small-signal analyses like PAC and PXF only work for circuits with a periodic operating point. As the name "small-signal" implies, the input signals for the PAC and PXF analyses are assumed to be so small that they do not noticeably change the operating point. I am not familiar with integrate and dump circuits, sorry.

Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #4 - Sep 9th, 2009, 1:20pm

Integrate and dump are just a variation on switched capacitor circuits, and so PSS, PAC, PNoise, and the like will work on them just as they would conventional switched-capacitor circuits.

-Ken

Mohammed Omar

Reply #5 - Sep 11th, 2009, 1:53pm

Thanks Frank and Ken for the prompt reply.

I simulated a simple integrate and dump circuit and got results inconsistent with those of the simple hand analysis.

Attached are the PSS and PAC results, I've been using a DC input for the integrate circuit; its schematic is attached too. I couldn't figure out how to attach them all in a single post, so I'll attach first the PSS results, followed by the PAC and then the schematic.

From what I understand is that this circuit should have a frequency response similar to the sinc function multiplied by a constant, but I can't figure out why it is not showing that shape.

pss.png
View Profile   IP Logged
Mohammed Omar

Reply #6 - Sep 11th, 2009, 1:58pm

Here are the PAC results

pac.png
View Profile   IP Logged
Mohammed Omar

Reply #7 - Sep 11th, 2009, 1:58pm

Here is the schematic

Screenshot_005.png
View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #8 - Sep 12th, 2009, 12:26am

You might want to study the point behind Figure 6 in http://www.designers-guide.org/Analysis/sc-filters.pdf.

Also, I don't believe the shape should be a sinc function. Given the integrating nature of the circuit, I would expect it to have a sinc2 shape. Plus there are other things that will affect the shape, such as the finite turn on and turn off time of the switch, the on resistance of the switch, simulator time steps, etc.

-Ken

Mohammed Omar

Reply #9 - Sep 14th, 2009, 2:20am

Thanks Ken.

I got your point. I'll check things out and let you know how things go.

Thanks a lot for your help. Smiley

Regards,
Mohammed Omar

View Profile   IP Logged
Mohammed Omar

Reply #10 - Sep 25th, 2009, 9:22am

Hi Ken,

I was wondering why you believe the shape should be a sinc2 function not a sinc function; I believe the integrate and dump circuit should have the same frequency response of the integrating ADC.

Thanks.

Mohammed Omar

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #11 - Sep 25th, 2009, 12:28pm

The transfer function of an idealized sampler is flat. The transfer function of a sample and hold is the same as an idealized sampler except with the output passed through a zero-order hold filter. This filter has a pulse as an impulse response, which in the frequency domain has a transfer function of sin(x)/x, or sinc(x). An integrate and dump is the same as a sample and hold, except the input is first passed through a similar filter, one with a pulse as an impulse response. This filter performs the integration that the circuit is named after. As such, the overall transfer function of an integrate and dump should be sinc2(x) because the transfer function of each filter is sinc(x) and the signal passes through two of them. I would expect the same to be true for an integrating ADC.

-Ken

Mohammed Omar

Reply #12 - Sep 25th, 2009, 1:20pm

Thanks for the fast reply.

It seems I'm missing something, what is the difference between an idealized sampler and the zero order hold?

From what you I are saying, if the integrate and dump circuit has a pulse response, then it should have the sinc(x) response in frequency, but this isn't the case.

For the integrating ADC, I believe the resulting spectrum is that of sinc(x) not sinc2(x); Check Figure 3 in at this linkhttp://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/tutorials/MT-027.pdf.

Thanks a lot Ken.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #13 - Sep 26th, 2009, 12:51am

An idealized sampler outputs impulses, so the output is zero everywhere except at the sample points. It has a flat transfer function.

A traditional sample and hold is the equivalent of an idealized sampler followed by a sinc() filter (a filter that has a unit pulse as an impulse response)

An integrate and dump is a traditional sample and hold preceded by a sinc() filter. Thus, there are two sinc() filters in succession, resulting in a sinc2() transfer function.

Don't trust me or the ap note you reference. Work it out for yourself.

-Ken

Mohammed Omar

Reply #14 - Sep 27th, 2009, 12:06pm

Thanks for the clarification.

I did the Integrate and Dump derivation and I got what you're trying to say.

The problem now is why doesn't the integrate and dump circuit show the desired response using PAC. It gives the same results I've posted before; there is no nulls in the PAC response and I don't believe anything would differ if I add an idealized sampler, i.e. The response should be the same before and after an idealized sampler, or am I missing something?

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.