The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 18th, 2024, 7:37am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What does Assura extract? (Read 6189 times)
MarcoC

Cesena, Italy
What does Assura extract?
Sep 07th, 2009, 3:06am

Hello everyone,
I'm new with Assura and post layout verification so I have some basic question.
What does Assura extract? I mean, does Assura extract only parasites coming from lines, such as line's resistance and coupling capacitors?

For exemple, the poly resistance has an intrinsic stray cap vs substrate; does Assura extract it?

Thanks,
Ciao

View Profile MarcoC   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: What does Assura extract?
Reply #1 - Sep 7th, 2009, 3:35am

It depends. There are some parts which are to do with device extraction - these are for characterized devices - maybe your poly resistor is not a "parasitic" device, in which case the extract rules can extract whatever physical parameters it likes, and then use those to model the device. This device extraction is part of the Assura LVS step.

For parasitic extraction, Assura RCX (which is now a tool called QRC, because it can be used with various LVS tools, not just Assura), will extract resistance, capacitance, inductance and mutual inductance (depending on your choices) for interconnect. The interconnect is generally what is left behind after the devices have been recognized and extracted by the LVS tool's extractor.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
MarcoC

Cesena, Italy
Reply #2 - Sep 7th, 2009, 5:51am

So if I understand well QRC extracts only parasites coming from interconnections (L, R and C). Other kind of parasites should be taken into care by the device's model.
Thus my poly resistance should have a modeled stray cap, otherwise it will be not regarde. Is it right?

Thanks,

MC

Maks
Community Member

San Jose
Reply #3 - Sep 10th, 2009, 7:56pm

MarcoC wrote on Sep 7th, 2009, 5:51am:
So if I understand well QRC extracts only parasites coming from interconnections (L, R and C). Other kind of parasites should be taken into care by the device's model.
Thus my poly resistance should have a modeled stray cap, otherwise it will be not regarde. Is it right?

As far as I know, if a parasitic extractor recognizes (through a prior LVS step) a structure as a "device" (that is supposed to be described by a compact model), then all capacitances and resistances within teh "device" are supposed to be described by the "device model", and capacitive/inductive coupling to the "outside world" is simply neglected.

In general, separating parasitics into"device" and "interconnects" may be vague and unphysical, especially in dense layouts. As an example, a poly-to-source/drain capacitance in a MOSFET (overlap capacitance) is captured by Spice device models. However, when contacts between diffusion and M1 are introduced, a significant fraction of overlap capacitance will be "redistributed" into poly-to-contact capacitance. Poly-to-contact capacitance may be difficult to include into Spice models as there is practically infinite number of possible arrangements (poly/contacts/diffusion), but accurate calculation of this capacitance in parasitic extraction would require the use of a field solver, while most of the field solvers are incapable to handle large layouts. Pattern-matching-based parasitic extractors can produce a very large error for complicated 3D structures that are typical in advanced technology nodes.

In general, compact models of the devices and parasitic extraction tools should "talk" to each other (i.e. agree on what capacitance component is included into device model or into parasitic extraction) - to avoid capacitance double-counting or "zero-counting". Even then, there is a gray area in device versus parasitic separation.

View Profile   IP Logged
MarcoC

Cesena, Italy
Reply #4 - Sep 14th, 2009, 7:05am

Your answer makes it clear.
Thanks a lot Maks!  :)

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.