The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 3rd, 2024, 10:14am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Direct conversion mixer design (Read 3856 times)
nadroit

Direct conversion mixer design
Sep 17th, 2009, 1:21pm

I am designing a direct conversion mixer with RF=L0=2GHz. Thus IF=0Hz. When I simulate it using spectreRF gain at 0Hz (RF-LO) and gain at 4GHz (RF+LO). Gain at 0Hz is less than that at 4GHz. I tried PSS+PAc,PSS+PXF to find gain. Is anything wrong in my understanding of direct conversion mixer? can direct conversion mixer have 0IF or it has some low IF? or is this a simulation problem? please let me know

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: Direct conversion mixer design
Reply #1 - Sep 17th, 2009, 8:32pm

Hi,

the signal that you receive is some signal with a certain bandwidth, called the transmission bandwidth (BT). Therefore, when you down-convert the signal to zero-IF, you are not really looking at the output at 0 Hz, you are looking at the output from 0 Hz to BT/2 Hz. In fact there is a lower limit of the bandwidth too. The IF is a carrier frequency. Zero IF simply means that there is no carrier.

I'm not sure if i understood the question properly, so sorry if I misunderstood.

cheers,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
nadroit

Reply #2 - Sep 17th, 2009, 9:04pm

thanks Aaron for ur reply. I understand that its not 0Hz frequency only and I should look at particular bandwidth. But lets say I am just designing mixer for one frequency or in other words bandwidth is zero.
So what I want to ask is does zero IF mixer has 0Hz as IF or it has certain IF (say few MHz)?  

Thanks again.

View Profile   IP Logged
currant

Reply #3 - Sep 17th, 2009, 11:21pm

Hi,
As I understand, IF=0Hz in zero-IF recievers. May be  You have some problems with DC? I think, You could test mixer with input frequency slightly different than LO.
 One comment, in zero-IF recievers we have to use I/Q mixer! If You use only one chanel (I or Q) the DC gain could be almost 0 because of phase difference of RF and LO.

Best regards.

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #4 - Sep 18th, 2009, 10:16am

also since you want small signal gain in spectreRF, RF source should be dc and not at 2GHz or any other frequency.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.