The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 5:22am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Optimizing on both S-parameters and Harmonic Balance in ADS at the same time (Read 2442 times)
drgz

norway
Optimizing on both S-parameters and Harmonic Balance in ADS at the same time
Sep 18th, 2009, 1:57am

As the subject title says, does anybody know how I do this?

I'm designing an amplifier for a project at the university, and I want to try to optimize the design I already got a bit more.

At the moment a harmonic balance simulation gives me a PAE of about 64% at the 1dB compression point, while the load-pull simulator tells me that I might achieve 73% PAE if I change my load to the "optimal" one. I know that higher PAE usually means loss of gain, but since I got a few dB to go on with respect to the specifications, I thought I might try to squeeze out a few more %.

Now the thing is that this specific load for optimum PAE doesn't make the design fulfill the other specs like i.e. gain, return loss at in- and output, etc, but I still believe that it's possible to increase the PAE and still fulfill the other specs.

So, I'm wondering if it's possible to simulate on both s-parameters and a harmonic balance at the same time, such that  I can specify goals for S21dB, S11dB, S22dB, and at the same time set a goal for PAE at the 1dB compression point?

View Profile   IP Logged
drgz

norway
Re: Optimizing on both S-parameters and Harmonic Balance in ADS at the same time
Reply #1 - Sep 19th, 2009, 9:32am

Figured it out, a LSSP simulation was what I needed. Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.