The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 27th, 2024, 10:23pm
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Stability discussion (Read 19859 times)
jugemu1234

Re: Stability discussion
Reply #15 - Nov 01st, 2009, 7:06am

Hi everyone here,

My appology for again starting discussion. I just want to discuss one more thing on stability analysis.

Ive got attached AC profile which looks little weird to me. It looks phase goes backward even on 2nd pole around 150k Hz. According to the PM definition "phase margin to (+/-)180deg at gain 1", can we say PM=150deg in this case? I am not intending to say herein that PM is all about I need to know, indeed I need to run transient as well.

PM.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #16 - Nov 1st, 2009, 10:13am

Hi jugemu1234,

At first, the stability margin certainly will NOT be app. 150 deg.
Just the opposite is true: The rapid increase of the phase function around 150 kHz indicates stability problems (worst case: instability!).
The reason is as follows: The concept of phase margin is applicable only in case of a loop gain function which has no zeros and which is a minimum phase system - and the increase around 150 kHz looks like a zero influence. (By the way: I assume you have shown us the loop gain, did you?)
More than that - you cannot trust the results of an ac analysis alone, because even in case of instability you can get a curve which looks more or less good.  
Regards

Addendum/Correction: Because of the rapid phase increase it is more likely that the whole system is unstable.

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #17 - Nov 1st, 2009, 9:11pm

Hi BuddyPoor,
                     Could you please elaborate on your statement, Quote:
More than that - you cannot trust the results of an ac analysis alone, because even in case of instability you can get a curve which looks more or less good.

It would be very helpful, if you could show some example so that we can be careful in future..

regards,
mayank.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #18 - Nov 1st, 2009, 9:25pm

@ maynk: i guess what he wants you say is  even in case instability also you will get pretty nice ac wave form, so don't believe bode plots in case both magnitude and phase plots are monotonic.

@jugemu1234:hi man in your ac plot i saw sudden change in phase by almost 180..this is some times  common mistake. How  did you open the loop because if your both L and C are small then at resonance frequency you could see this type of weird behavior, so first you increase L and C and see whether you are getting same rapid change at that point.

Thanks,
rajasekhar..

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #19 - Nov 1st, 2009, 10:09pm

Yeah,
       i got buddy's point raja...But it would have be helpful if some1 could post an example of ac analysis showing normal behaviour while it's otherwise...And What could possible be the reason that poles & zeros of Bode plots FOR MONOTONIC minimum phase functions shows stablitiy while ckt goes unstable ??

thanx,
mayank.

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #20 - Nov 1st, 2009, 11:47pm

Mayank wrote on Nov 1st, 2009, 10:09pm:
Yeah,
       i got buddy's point raja...But it would have be helpful if some1 could post an example of ac analysis showing normal behaviour while it's otherwise...And What could possible be the reason that poles & zeros of Bode plots FOR MONOTONIC minimum phase functions shows stablitiy while ckt goes unstable ??

thanx,
mayank.

Hi MAYANK !
1) For example, when you by mistake connects the feedback line to the non-inverting opamp input (that means: positive feedback) the result of the ac analysis looks normal. That is because the program does find an operating point (which you also can calculate by hand, but it is unstable). However, the program does not know that it will be unstable because it does not take care about noise and power switch-on.

As another example, take a non-compensated opamp and use 100% feedback. The opamp in reality will be unstable. But you will see that the result of ac analysis - as far as the magnitude is concerned !! - looks normal. However, the phase will exhibit a rapid increase - as in your case!! This is an indication for instability !

2.) The answer to your second question cannot be given in short here   in the forum. Please refer to the complete NYQUIST stability criterion. In this context, you should realize that the stability check in the BODE plot is nothing else than a transfer of the NYQUIST criterion from the complex plane to the simpler BODE plot. And according to NYQUIST the parameter called "phase margin" indicates stability/instability not for all kinds of functions. Description and explanation of this criterion can be found in books on control theory.    
Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
jugemu1234

Reply #21 - Nov 2nd, 2009, 2:08am

Hi raja and guys here,

Thanks for info first of all.
It is not simple L&C on feedback path to set up open loop in my case. But I change it back to L&C components, no change on ac response though.

PM2.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #22 - Nov 2nd, 2009, 2:20am

hi,
   thanks for your quick cheek.I wounder how you are getting 180 phase change at one point..the reason could be some complex pole, but how in open loop you get complex pole? any how i donno much may be some senior person should help us..have you done transient simulation?

Thanks,
rajasekhar.

buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #23 - Nov 2nd, 2009, 2:23am

jugemu1234, does this mean that your FIRST graph (BODE- plot) was the result of this simple RC circuit ?

If yes, I am sure that the models of your passive components R resp. C include parasitic parts which cause deviation from the normal first order response.

But - independent from that - what is the circuit for your complete feedback loop ?

View Profile   IP Logged
jugemu1234

Reply #24 - Nov 2nd, 2009, 2:49am

Hi,

Pls find attached. This is simplified model of whole loop and how I made it open loop. "ACBLK" indicates the circuit I had attached previously. The very first Bode of this thread is not coming from this circuit but the picture attached yesterday (on which I noted 150 PM) is derived with this open loop. And AC source is on Vref.

Thanks,

buddypoor wrote on Nov 2nd, 2009, 2:23am:
jugemu1234, does this mean that your FIRST graph (BODE- plot) was the result of this simple RC circuit ?

If yes, I am sure that the models of your passive components R resp. C include parasitic parts which cause deviation from the normal first order response.

But - independent from that - what is the circuit for your complete feedback loop ?

PM3_001.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #25 - Nov 2nd, 2009, 3:13am

jugemu1234, I donīt understand the meaning and the relevance of the ACBLK as it is a simple RC circuit (and no LC which is to be used for loop gain simulation).
Nevertheless, I suggest you the following: Forget any artificial block like ACBLK and put instead an ac source of 1 volt  BETWEEN the pos. input of the opamp (node B) and the resistive voltage divider (node A)
The, perform an ac simulation. The loop gain (magnitude and phase) is the RATIO of both node voltages v(A)/v(B).
This simplified operation is always possible if you find a point in the loop where a small source resistance is connected to a high input resistor (as is the case in front of your opamp input).

View Profile   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #26 - Nov 2nd, 2009, 9:48pm

Hi,
     Buddy, thanx for your reply....
      Jugemu, I agree with buddy that if you want to measure your open Loop Gain response, why are you placing an extra LC ckt in between...Do the normal return ratio analysis by breaking the loop at resistive divider node & givng an ac signal to +ve node of opamp & measuring the tf upto the loop-breaking point...I guess that should do...

You can also place an i-probe available in spectre b/w resistive divider node & +ve opamp i/p and do a stb analysis to obtain LG response...

--Mayank.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #27 - Nov 9th, 2009, 1:31am

hi mayank,
                 i feel return ratio method is only for hand calculation..not for simulation..if you want to simulate you have to middlebrooke method..

Thanks,
rajasekhar.

Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #28 - Nov 9th, 2009, 2:45am

Hello raja,
               Yeah, return ratio method is for hand-calculation....My second suggestion refers to middlebrook method only....
       Placing an i-probe or a CMDM probe provided in analogLib of spectre virtuoso is an element for middlebrook FB analysis...
My point is to avoid placing a LC filter,which imitates simulation conditions for return ratio analysis,(instead do a hand calculation by return ratio method)  &  use the middlebrook method for simulation, (which places baluns/ideal transformers and does a stability analysis).
     Instead spectre + virtuoso makes life easy by providing an iprobe/ cmdm probe cellview which you can directly place in your schematic and do the stb analysis on it.....There you get your LG without placing any L,C ckt inside your schematic.....

--Mayank

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #29 - Nov 9th, 2009, 5:07am

hi mayank,
                 i got what you are saying...in your reply you stated that for doing middlebroke no need to use any balen,TF....just find Av and Ai and do some post processing....

Thanks,
Rajasekhar.

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.