The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 27th, 2024, 8:15pm
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Stability discussion (Read 19833 times)
jugemu1234

Stability discussion
Sep 30th, 2009, 8:22pm

Hi,

I have been discussing with my colleges on stability about the system whose AC response is such as attached picture.
Speaking of only white profile, as far as I see, this is still stable since PM is around 60 deg. However some insists on risk from the fact phase response dip at around 30dB gain. Considering Barkhausen's criteria of oscillation, system oscillates only when gain=1 and when phase becomes 180 deg. In other words, when gain is higher than 1 and when phase becomes 180deg, system does not satisfy osillation. I think this is obvious considering such as PLL phase margin which often starts 180 deg at DC.

In case I am wrong, and attached white line is dangerous somehow, how could we make sure PLL(or other loops who already reaches close to 180 deg at low freq) stable?

Thanks,

ac_tt_load7_40.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: Stability discussion
Reply #1 - Sep 30th, 2009, 10:17pm

hi,
   as many people were discussed this topic many times here , Basically bode plot works properly for all pole system and for some systems with zero also it will work...still you can find many cases where bode plot fails.After all its a special case in Nyquist plot.So always use Nyquist or root locus.

***if both magnitude and phase plot are monotonic then only bode plot will work***

Thanks,
Rajasekhar.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
jugemu1234

Reply #2 - Sep 30th, 2009, 10:20pm

Hi,

Agreed but in fact there is no nicer method than PM analysis via bode plot over many corners. I wish there be more straightforward Nyquist or rlocus analysis on Analog Design Environment.

Thanks,

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #3 - Oct 1st, 2009, 12:55am

Please see http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1182388268 for a similar discussion. And do a transient simulation of the step response to see if it satisfies your requirements.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Oct 3rd, 2009, 6:05pm

Hi

In addition to what Frank suggested (which I would also do if I were you), you could build a Nyquist plot by just taking the real and imaginary part of the output voltage after running a dc analysis.
In such plot you could also evaluate the PM of your system.

Regards
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
jugemu1234

Reply #5 - Oct 4th, 2009, 8:42am

Hi thechopper and Frank,

Thanks for your reply.

Do you have any useful tool for Nyquist analysis with good user interface? How do you usually do draw Nyquist plot form DC analysis for many corners? Did you create special SKILL/Perl for it?

Also, transient analysis would give you if it oscillates or converges, but how do you know numeric number of stability margin specifically? It can be know by ringinging magnitude but i am wonderig if it is kind of ambiguous.

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #6 - Oct 5th, 2009, 1:12am

jugemu1234 wrote on Sep 30th, 2009, 8:22pm:
Hi,

Speaking of only white profile, as far as I see, this is still stable since PM is around 60 deg. However some insists on risk from the fact phase response dip at around 30dB gain. Considering Barkhausen's criteria of oscillation, system oscillates only when gain=1 and when phase becomes 180 deg. In other words, when gain is higher than 1 and when phase becomes 180deg, system does not satisfy osillation. I think this is obvious considering such as PLL phase margin which often starts 180 deg at DC.

In case I am wrong, and attached white line is dangerous somehow, how could we make sure PLL(or other loops who already reaches close to 180 deg at low freq) stable?

Thanks,

Hello jugemu1234,

I suppose, there is a deep misunderstanding on your side.
1.) Your figure does NOT show the open loop phase. Instead it shows the total phase of all loop components - without the phase inversion necessary for negative feedback.
2.) If this total phase is -180 deg and the loop gain >1, the closed loop system will NOT be stable in most cases. Instead the system will go into saturation. There are some exceptions from this rule which require the complete NYQUIST criterion to check stability, but this is - as far as I see- beyond your problem. This has been correctly emphasized by rajasekhar
3.) As far as your problem is concerned, a PM lower than 30 deg may be not sufficient, but without any doubt the system is stable.

4.) As a consequence, if  the phase of the PLL loop componenets is nearly -180 deg at low frequencies , this fact is NOT dangerous at all. In opposite, it clearly reveals and prooves the negative feedback concept.

CORRECTION to 4.): Instead of "phase of PLL loop components" read "phase of loop gain" (including negative sign of the feedback loop).

« Last Edit: Oct 6th, 2009, 12:32am by buddypoor »  

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #7 - Oct 5th, 2009, 9:49pm

Hello everyone,
                          Nyquist Stability Criterion and Frequency Domain Analysis through Bode Plots have perturbed me also since a long time.
             Can anyone please suggest me some good reading material where i can find how to apply Nyquist Stability Criterion to circuits and its comparison with Bode Plot Analysis as in how to map regions in Nyquist Plots to Bode Plots.  

thanx,
Mayank.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #8 - Oct 5th, 2009, 10:27pm

hi,
   i feel this presentation will give nice details regarding Nyquist plot.http://www.ee.iitm.ac.in/~nagendra/presentations/20090109vlsiconf/20090109vlsico...

you can read from slide 53...

Thanks,
rajasekhar.

buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #9 - Oct 6th, 2009, 1:55am

Mayank wrote on Oct 5th, 2009, 9:49pm:
Hello everyone,
                          Nyquist Stability Criterion and Frequency Domain Analysis through Bode Plots have perturbed me also since a long time.
             Can anyone please suggest me some good reading material where i can find how to apply Nyquist Stability Criterion to circuits and its comparison with Bode Plot Analysis as in how to map regions in Nyquist Plots to Bode Plots.  
thanx,
Mayank.

Hi Mayank,

I am afraid the above link does not work (my experience).
Instead, try this one:
http://virtual.cvut.cz/dynlabmodules/ihtml/dynlabmodules/syscontrol/node45.html

It contains something about the relationship between Nyquist and Bode.
In addition, I recommend to consult a good book on control theory which normally deal with this subject.
Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #10 - Oct 6th, 2009, 2:50am

hi buddypoor,
                     i am sorry, i forgot to tell that there you have to simply register.Any how i am uploading those slides in sendspace, here is the file
http://www.sendspace.com/file/nyinj2
And the reference you have given is very good.

Thanks,
Rajasekhar.

buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #11 - Oct 6th, 2009, 3:34am

Hi Rajasekhar,
now i got it. Looks good. Thank you.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #12 - Oct 6th, 2009, 3:44am

hi buddypor,
                   i saw many times this stability discussions in many places..but no one concluded. Why don't you summaries. I am giving my conclusions here.
Bode plot will give decent results in the following cases

1.Both mag and phase plot should be monotonic
2. all pole system or system with one zero

Please correct the following and add your's  also

thanks,
rajasekhar.

Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #13 - Oct 6th, 2009, 6:40am

Hi all,
           Thanx everyone for helping me out with the materials.
           @ Raja : I agree with your first point that Bode Plots work only on monotonic Magnitude & Phase Plots. Am not completely sure about your second point -- All pole is monotonic , Systems with only one Zero need not be monotonic i guess.

thanx,
Mayank.

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #14 - Oct 8th, 2009, 4:04am

raja.cedt wrote on Oct 6th, 2009, 3:44am:
hi buddypoor,  i saw many times this stability discussions in many places..but no one concluded. Why don't you summaries. I am giving my conclusions here.
Bode plot will give decent results in the following cases

1.Both mag and phase plot should be monotonic
2. all pole system or system with one zero

Please correct the following and add your's  also

thanks,
rajasekhar.

Hi rajasekhar,
a final conclusion (i. e. a summary of stability criteria) cannot be done in short. I think, here in the forum we should not and cannot repeat the contents of a textbook. For my opinion, it is not so easy as you have written in your conclusion.
For example: What do you mean with "Bode plot gives results". Do you refer to the slope of the magnitude and/or the phase information ?
If yes, you only speak of the simplified Nyquist criterion which applies   only under some restrictions.
However, the BODE plot can be used for a stability check also in case of poles and zeros in the RHP (instability of the open loop).
But in this case the Nyquist criterion may NOT be transferred to BODE in its simplified form. Instead, you have to count the crossings of the 180 deg-line with respect to the DIRECTIONS of these crossings.
You see, it is not as easy as you perhaps think. Sorry for that.
Finally, here is my "conclusion" (in fact: derived from other sources):
The simplified Nyquist criterion is transferred to the BODE plot in the following way:
If the function L is stable (no RHP poles) and crosses the 0 db-line only once and if the phase crosses the 180-deg-line only once, you can use the phase/gain margin as a stability criterion.
More than that, if there are no RHP zeros (i.e. L is a minimum phase system), you may use only the slope of the magnitude to evaluate stability issues.
Regards      

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.