The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 28th, 2024, 6:20am
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Very accurate Bandgap reference (Read 5358 times)
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: Very accurate Bandgap reference
Reply #15 - Oct 19th, 2009, 9:15am

OK. some confusion I guess - Let me see if I can clarify, or maybe make things more confusing -  ;D

Use of an LDO over the bandgap to isolate the supply - In principle I have no problems with this. My only thought here is that a BG puts out a DC signal and the BW of your final system should be near 0Hz anyway, so power supply noise had better be suppressed pretty heavily as it is. If it is just keeping the BG circuits quiet, thats fine, but this is noise that should be above (in frequency) the BG output signal and can be taken care of by other means. I have no problems with a quieter supply.

Keep in mind people use chopper methods in BG's all the time (reduce all the offsets in the system and frequency shift the flicker noise) and all the transient junk introduced by the chop circuits gets filtered out before you use the reference.

As for cascodes? Are we talking in the BG amplifier or elsewhere? My cautionary here is that an amplifier that uses a cascode generates a lot of inherent noise due to the high impedance of the cascode. That's generally white noise (thermal equivalents) and needs to be considered. I suggest there to do a noise analysis and see how it contributes.

The use of active amplifier loads (cascode or not) will also contribute flicker noise that will land at DC and effect your BG voltage output. A lot of low noise bandgaps will use resistive loads only and even drop to lower resistance values (higher currents to keep everything at the right op point) to reduce the thermal noise of the system.

Depends on what your system is getting used for. I have done stuff where the thermal noise of the BG was an issue (it mapped to spectral spreading in a transmitter) and other places where it was not that important, but curvature correction over temperature was more important.

Did I just confuse things more?

Huh

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #16 - Oct 19th, 2009, 9:37am

I'm a little better, although I've never done a noise analysis where the cascode device was the major contributor so I'm sure we're on parallel planes (I expect you are correct, but I don't understand your angle).

A few aside for the OP: I agree about the resistors being a lower noise solution, but designers should be careful: I found out the hard way that high-sheet and diffusion resistors have 1/f noise! This noise can NOT be easily chopped out. Low sheet poly seemed to be the best solution for 1/f. You have a worse problem with mosefets of course, and overall it is small enough that it is not normally a consideration..

One note on choppers (since I brought it up). I would add that a  consideration with them is that you need a low freq LPF to remove the chopping noise, which usually requires an off chip cap. So this makes them undesirable for many designs.

There has been some good work by the Europeans (Delft or Katholic U I think) on temperature sensors published in tJSSC. The techniques there apply directly to bandgap design. The theses are also good if you can find a copy.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #17 - Oct 19th, 2009, 4:20pm

RobG wrote on Oct 19th, 2009, 9:37am:
noise analysis where the cascode device was the major contributor

designers should be careful: I found out the hard way that high-sheet and diffusion resistors have 1/f noise!

Hmmm... On the cascode - do an analysis using active loads (Mosfet) and the same impedance resistors and (ideally anyway) the resistor will be white noise dc to daylight, and the mosfet will be a mix of LF flicker and wideband white noise.

I struggle with this issue in gmC filters a lot because you end up using PFET active loads and they end up being an ugly noise source.

As for flicker noise from a resistor?
You betcha! Smiley especially in small geometry resistors!

Keep in mind that flicker noise is a source from the capture and release of electrons along the edge of the junction. When the "energy to push the electrons along" (I am searching for a fancier semiconductor physics terminology way of saying this) creates an inconsistency in the "capture and release" the net result is flicker noise. Bigger W and L in Mosfets means fewer electrons travel along this "edge zone" and you get less flicker noise. In a similar manner, bigger W, L and H (height or thickness of the resistor layer) leads to fewer electrons along the edge and less flicker noise.

Jerry Twomey
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #18 - Oct 20th, 2009, 3:49am

hi,
   i donno what cascodes you are talking about? i assumed that these are from the supply to opamp terminal whose gate is driven by opamp. I feel there cascode purpose is to good shielding from the supply and cascode won't add much noise.

Thanks,
Rajasekhar.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
rajdeep

UK
Reply #19 - Oct 20th, 2009, 4:24am

Im no expert in noise, but some of the discussions in this page is just awesome!! Loved the flicker noise explanation by loose-electron in the last para.

Anyway, coming back to cascodes. This is what loose-e mentioned:
Quote:
  Are we talking in the BG amplifier or elsewhere? My cautionary here is that an amplifier that uses a cascode generates a lot of inherent noise due to the high impedance of the cascode. That's generally white noise  

Can I make an analogy like, a higher impedence means higher resistor and hence more thermal noise?

cheers!
Rajdeep

Design is fun, verification is a requirement.
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #20 - Oct 20th, 2009, 7:49am

Raj:

Exactly! Pretty much any amplifier uses impedances as part of the amplifier to create gain. Higher impedance equals more noise.

Also the cascode I am referring to are in the amplifier used in the bandgap. Not in any cascode used in an isolating power regulator (like the output of an LDO)

Jerry

Jerry Twomey
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #21 - Oct 21st, 2009, 1:12am

loose-electron wrote on Oct 20th, 2009, 7:49am:
Raj:

Exactly! Pretty much any amplifier uses impedances as part of the amplifier to create gain. Higher impedance equals more noise.

Also the cascode I am referring to are in the amplifier used in the bandgap. Not in any cascode used in an isolating power regulator (like the output of an LDO)

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

I think your comparison (resistor R vs. MOS with output resistance R) ia also unfair. Firstly, this is valid only for small values of R and/or for more advanced processes where the MOS output impedance is poor.

While an active load is noisier in this case (and this case is seen in gmC stages, CML and LNAs), it is dangerous to extrapolate this to mean in general that a MOS active load is noisier for the same target gain and power supply. After all, a resistor has to support DC drop across it whereas an active load can potentially achieve far higher Rout for the same drop.

Moreover, active loads that achieve higher Rout need to be made with longer L, smaller W => smaller gm of active load => tendency towards lower noise. So in an opamp, the above argument would not hold. 1/f noise is generally worse in MOS transistors than in poly or other resistors but I don't know if a general claim is possible.

1/f noise can be device engineered, which means that not all active loads will be as noisy, e.g. a BJT active load would have much less 1/f noise than even a poly resistor (although a horrendous thermal noise since its gm is going to be high).

Regards,

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #22 - Oct 21st, 2009, 1:54am

hi vivek,
             even some where i read active load give more noise than passive load. The reason i feel is if look at thermal noise expression of mos there noise is depends on the large signal resistance (you can write 8KT/3*gm and replace gm by 2I/vdsat.)

Thanks,
Rajasekhar.

RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #23 - Oct 21st, 2009, 7:10am

I'm with Vivkr on this one, (but I could be missing something). I just don't see how cascodes in the opamp will make things much worse and their advantages outweigh the small noise increase. You have higher impedance, but that means more gain, which is going to benefit you more than the marginal increase in noise from the cascodes. The overall noise is the noise of the opamp in feedback configuration, not open loop. A design like this will also need high gain for other reasons.

Passive loads have less noise than active, but they cost headroom. The noise from the loads is attenuated by the ratio of the load gm to the input diff pair gm, so it can be managed and made small if necessary.

rg

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #24 - Oct 21st, 2009, 10:19am

Slow down a little here - I am not saying that one or the other is quieter or noisier.

What I am saying is that a high impedance anything generates more noise than a lower impedance anything. (If and only if every other parameter remains the same.)

Don't jump to a conclusion that I did not make. It is easy to show that a MOS device with a small signal impedance of 50 ohms, has less noise generation that a 1Meg resistor. The opposite case can also be made.

Also, an amplifier that uses a cascode current source as an active load (and we all do that at one time or another in an op-amp) has a high impedance node looking into the active load. That generates a good amount of inherent noise. In a lot of cases, with mixed signal applications its not an important thing, because the signals you are working with are a lot bigger than the noise.

But, the discussion at hand was for a "very accurate bandgap" and that, in my mind means accurate nominal (no curvature, no offsets, etc) voltage over all PVT situations and a low noise content.

Also "low noise" and "accurate" are relative things. If "accurate" means +-5mV and "low noise" 1mV /rt-hz then all of this is meaning less. If accurate is  0.01mV and below, and noise measured in electrons/second, that's a different thing.

Don't get too excited, after all, its just electronics!
Cheesy

Jerry Twomey
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #25 - Oct 21st, 2009, 10:46am

Thanks, that helps. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt for a while, but figured it was best smoke out what you really meant by insulting your intelligence Wink

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #26 - Oct 21st, 2009, 5:35pm

No problem - My intelligence gets insulted all the time. Right now I work with MD's on a regular basis. (Yeah medical doctors) and some of them are clueless outside of the medical world.

And I thought some engineers had egos!
Grin

Oh, and low noise - I like the military sensor projects that do infrared sensing, where you cool the whole thing down with liquid nitrogen to kill off the thermal noise, and you can see the noise in the form of one electron every couple of seconds.
Shocked
I am not sure if I should say that's "hot stuff" or "really cool" - I guess both applies here.

Being able to quantitatively show someone that "that little blip" on the screen is actually the transition of a single electron really opens some eyes.

Jerry Twomey
manodipan
Community Member

Reply #27 - Dec 2nd, 2009, 12:34am

Hi all,
Thanks a lot for the nice discussion....
@Rajashekhar-----can you give me any book or material that you are referring....also pls give me your mail id....
@Chopper----i have no idea abt chopper method used in bandgaps....can you pls clarify me how it is used??
@RobG----can you pls send me the thesis you are referring to or any other materials...
regards,
Manodipan

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #28 - Dec 2nd, 2009, 12:46am

hi manodeepan
                     you can refere some of the rincon mora papaers or even you can try some sub bandgap JSSC paps....

my mail id is raja.cedt@gmail.com

Thanks,
Rajasekhar.

manodipan
Community Member

Reply #29 - Dec 10th, 2009, 2:05am

Hi all,
So as we were discussing one of the way to get better tempco accuracy is curvature compensation....now i am referring to the paper titled "Curvature compensated BiCMOS bandgap with 1V supply voltage" by Maloberti et al.....In this paper i implemented the circuit given in Fig.4...now i don't get proper compensation as desired ....Can you guys tell me how to choose the value of R4 and R5 carrying nonlinear currents...
Also it seems that with process the temperature compensatio curve varies...so i need to put a trim here..for example of mentioned Fig.4 in the reference, trimming is to be done for R1 and R2...
kindly clarify my doubts..
Regards,
Manodipan

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.