The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 28th, 2024, 4:16am
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Very accurate Bandgap reference (Read 5343 times)
manodipan
Community Member

Very accurate Bandgap reference
Oct 14th, 2009, 4:43am

Hi Guys,
I need to design a very accurate bandgap reference....it does not matter if it is voltage or current output...the accuracy with temperature required is  less than 0.1%...it would be great if you guys suggest some material...Thanks..

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: Very accurate Bandgap reference
Reply #1 - Oct 14th, 2009, 9:00pm

hi,
   have you tried curvature compensated band gap?

Thanks,
Rajasekhar

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Oct 14th, 2009, 10:42pm

Does accuracy mean "accuracy over temperature" or "absolute accuracy (e.g. 1.24V) constant over PVT"?

View Profile   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Oct 14th, 2009, 11:40pm

Hi,
     Normally when you design a Band-Gap(say PTAT), it's variation is kept usually below 10%.
For higher accuracies, Go for a Curvature Compensated (PTAT + CTAT) Config as raja suggested.
Also, if your supply is noisy,
You can also go for cascaded BandGaps. Funda being you first generate a local reference through a BandGap, feed it to LDO,now give the local stabilized reference to the final BandGap.
This can give excellent results in case of noisy supply.

thanx,
Mayank.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #4 - Oct 14th, 2009, 11:59pm

hi,
    manyak you are correct, but i feel this ldo option is the final due to power consumption before that he we can apply many tricks. First identify which one parameter is contributing more error (supply noise, opamp offset, vbe curvature error )

1.Design high bandwidth op amp with less offset because offset will be amplified through some no (i guess it is around 17 roughly) and op amp input referred noise will come directly to the output. Check how opamp offset is changing with temp.

2. Try to budget  as much as possible VDS across top pmos transistors

3.Opamp dynamic PSRR should be good
please correct me if any thing wrong

Questin @ manodeepan: By the way whats your BG voltage (i mean is it general BG or any sub BG ) and architecture?

Thanks,
Rajasekhar.

RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #5 - Oct 15th, 2009, 1:50pm

manodipan wrote on Oct 14th, 2009, 4:43am:
Hi Guys,
I need to design a very accurate bandgap reference....it does not matter if it is voltage or current output...the accuracy with temperature required is  less than 0.1%...it would be great if you guys suggest some material...Thanks..

This is very challenging. You'll need curvature compensation unless your temp range is tight (say +/- 30C). Bigger issue: you will also need to trim out variations in sheet resistance and bipolar Is and various mismatches. A 20% change in sheet resistance or bipolar IS will cause a 0.4% change at room temp and more at 125C. Opamp offsets can easily add that much and are difficult to trim out without screwing up the temp co, so you will need offset compensation (chopping, etc) or trim at two temperature points. Substrate noise can cause DC shifts on that order. PSSR is a comparatively easy thing to solve using high gain opamp in your circuit. Oh, and changes in packaging stress from plastic packages will cause hysteresis when temp cycling and unpredictable tempco. Don't forget bandgap references voltages change as the circuit ages.

Current reference has all those problems and it is directly proportional to the resistor used to generate the current. I doubt if you can build a current reference to 0.1%.

I guess what I'm saying is that you should relax the spec or find a new boss Wink

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #6 - Oct 16th, 2009, 2:41am

Mayank wrote on Oct 14th, 2009, 11:40pm:
Hi,
     Normally when you design a Band-Gap(say PTAT), it's variation is kept usually below 10%.
thanx,
Mayank.

Just a comment. You don't call it a Band-Gap if you are using a PTAT. A bandgap is realized first when you combine a PTAT with a CTAT and you can get decent accuracy there (1%).

Regards,

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
rajdeep

UK
Reply #7 - Oct 16th, 2009, 3:34am

Ya! 1% accuracy is possible with standard architecture, with additional things like cascoding to achieve better PSRR. The accuracy also depends on the process. For example, I had to migrate a design from 600nm to 180nm CMOS process. Same architecture, some tweaks, but the accuracy was really good.
Thats because this new process of 180nm has better matching, and the tempco of the resistors are also a bit better. Finally, trimming is highly recommended if such accuracy is reqd. But then curvature correction at one trim combination is ok.

So, to make a comment on the main question, I guess use the standard architecture, and have trimming option.

The LDO idea was also nice. In fact something that we follow because that LDO can be used for other purposes also, like supplying some logic portion in other part of the chip. But  just to design a standalone bandgap IP, it depends on your area, power requirement!

Just some comments! You have to design it anyway  :P
cheers!
Rajdeep

Design is fun, verification is a requirement.
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #8 - Oct 16th, 2009, 5:26pm

Hmmm... Cascoding and running off of LDO power? Interesting concept but give some thought to the thermal and flicker noise that you get from this device, cascodes are noisy things.

Put some noise on the power supply and model the interference/coupling and see what you got. You may want to just LPF the output of the device down to near DC and let the noise of the environment be averaged out.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #9 - Oct 16th, 2009, 8:16pm

loose-electron wrote on Oct 16th, 2009, 5:26pm:
Hmmm... Cascoding and running off of LDO power? Interesting concept but give some thought to the thermal and flicker noise that you get from this device, cascodes are noisy things.

Put some noise on the power supply and model the interference/coupling and see what you got. You may want to just LPF the output of the device down to near DC and let the noise of the environment be averaged out.

Hi Loose-e. I know you know your stuff, but could you please elaborate? I don't understand how using an LDO to provide a power supply for a BG reference will add noise (it should increase power supply rejection), or how a cascode is noisy.

rg

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #10 - Oct 17th, 2009, 5:46am

hi,
   i think what loose-electron want to convey is cascading will give noise problems (like the folk proposed cascading with LDO). But even i didn't understand why cascading will  add more supply noise in fact some time it will reduce like in two stage opamp.

Thanks,
rajasekhar.

vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #11 - Oct 19th, 2009, 12:53am

Hi Jerry,

Why would cascoding add significant noise? Some thoughts from my side:

1. Generally, the contribution of the active load is far more signicant than that of the cascode (by factor gm*ro) to any noise current.

2. Then we come to noise bandwidths. If the cascode has much more of it, then maybe its contribution referred to the input would increase as the load mirror frequency response drops off, but I would say that this is generally not so significant.

3. What could worsen the noise when using cascodes is the fact that you need extra headroom to accomodate these => you need to live with lower Vds on the active load => the active loads are made with larger W/L and have higher gm => you have more noise from the load devices than you could potentially have if you didn't need to sacrifice any headroom for that cascode. This difference can be significant for lower supplies.

Are we on the same page or do you have something else in mind?

Regards,

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
rajdeep

UK
Reply #12 - Oct 19th, 2009, 5:37am

But then cascodes are there to suppress any such noise, it kind of shields the noise which may be present at its drain end if in saturation.

Liked the higher gm => higher noise analysis though!!

Rajdeep

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #13 - Oct 19th, 2009, 6:56am

hi rajdeeep,
                  could you please explain what is " Liked the higher gm => higher noise analysis though!!"

Thanks,
Rajasekhar.

rajdeep

UK
Reply #14 - Oct 19th, 2009, 7:16am

vivkr wrote...
Quote:
 ... with larger W/L and have higher gm => you have more noise from the load devices...

I liked this analysis. Thats what I wrote!!

cheers!
Rajdeep

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.