The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 6th, 2024, 6:04pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to model the parasitics for input and output pins at a freq. of 1GHz. (Read 4429 times)
pkd

India
How to model the parasitics for input and output pins at a freq. of 1GHz.
Oct 18th, 2009, 2:17pm

Hi,
I want to design a comparator which is supposed to work up-to 1.5GHz. At that frequency how should I model the pin and outside world parasitic so that the design will work in the test board where I will be connecting the output pin through an IO cell(given by foundry) and then bond-pad and then some PCB trace of length around 4mm.At present I am using the parasitic extracted blocks of the comparator, the output driver, the IO cell and the bond pad parasitic for simulation. But my doubt is how should I consider the PCB trace parasitic and if I want to use the PCB trace to connect to the scope having 10pf load then how should I model the parasitic load in that case. For the input signal I am using an input buffer after the IO cell. I am also taking the schematic for the IO cell and also the bond-pad cap. for simulation. But what else should I put in my schematic to closely match the real life situation?
Thanks,
-pkd

View Profile   IP Logged
pkd

India
Re: How to model the parasitics for input and output pins at a freq. of 1GHz.
Reply #1 - Oct 20th, 2009, 4:31am

No reply yet?   Sad   Embarrassed

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #2 - Oct 20th, 2009, 11:15am

as well as modelling everything on chip including the interconnect (which you seem to have fairly well covered), you'll then need the bondwire and package model. the exact model depends on the bonding and package you are using.
the package pin then contacts the pcb, so you'll get extra capacitance from that pcb pad as well. to model this you'll need to know the dimensions and layers of the pcb.
the 4mm pcb trace can simply be modelled as a microstrip line once you have all the pcb details.
given you'll have a scope probe on this output, the parasitic presented by the 4mm pcb trace should be relatively small compared to 10pF. also remember also the scope probe impedance, not just the capacitance.

hope this helps... cheers

aw

View Profile   IP Logged
pkd

India
Reply #3 - Oct 20th, 2009, 12:15pm

Yes...I found out the bond-ware and package model. They are a combination of few nH of inductance and few hundreds of femto farad capacitance. So this will model the parasitics till the pin. Now I want to know some typical values of cap. from package pin to PCB pad. Can I simulate the 4mm microstrip line as a 50 transmission line? (I would like to make the board design to get 50 ohm trace). In that case what all parameters should I pass(at least the typical values) to the lossy tx. line?
The scope is also having a 50 ohm termination. In that case how should the 50 ohm and the 10pF be connected to the other end of the tx. line created out of the PCB track?
Thanks,
pkd

View Profile   IP Logged
ci

Reply #4 - Nov 19th, 2009, 4:09pm

In addition to the advice you received so far, I suggest that you may also want to model the power distribution impedance on PCB/package/chip since it is part of the return current of your signal path transmission line.   Impedance discontinuities on the return path show on the input and output signals.

Cosmin Iorga, Ph.D.
NoiseCoupling.com
http://www.noisecoupling.com

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.