The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 19th, 2024, 2:46am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Crest Factor v/s PAPR (Read 9958 times)
sandman
Community Member

Crest Factor v/s PAPR
Nov 12th, 2009, 3:26am

Hi all,

A silly question, but as far as I'm aware of it, the two definitions are as follows:

Peak-to-Average-Power-Ratio = (Peak absolute amplitude power / Time averaged RMS power) of the waveform.

i.e. PAPR of x(t) = [(|x|max)^2] / E[(|x|rms)^ 2]

and Crest factor of x(t) is: √(PAPR)

Are these correct definitions for all types of waveforms?

Further, I understand PAPR increases by a factor of 10log(Nc) where Nc is the number of similarly modulated carriers added to the system. I've heard that this doesn't apply to WCDMA waveforms (probably because of the spreading), but I can't seem to confirm this either way (right or wrong). Could anyone comment?

Thanks and cheers.

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Re: Crest Factor v/s PAPR
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2009, 4:02am

sandman wrote on Nov 12th, 2009, 3:26am:
A silly question, but as far as I'm aware of it, the two definitions are as follows:
I can't find out two definitions.
You write only one definition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crest_factor

Peak-to-Average-Power-Ratio = (Peak absolute amplitude power / Time averaged RMS power) of the waveform.

i.e. PAPR of x(t) = [(|x|max)^2] / E[(|x|rms)^ 2]

and Crest factor of x(t) is: √(PAPR)

Are these correct definitions for all types of waveforms?
Although I don't know your E[(|x|rms)^ 2], the above is a definition of crest factor of baseband signal.

What average do you mean by E[] ?
Do you mean time average inside one burst as "rms" ?
And you mean frame average of bursts as "E[]" ?

For bandpass signal, crest factor of envelope is defined.

Further, I understand PAPR increases by a factor of 10log(Nc) where Nc is the number of similarly modulated carriers added to the system.
I've heard that this doesn't apply to WCDMA waveforms (probably because of the spreading)
Although I'm not sure that it follows a factor of 10log(Nc), crest factor of multiple WCDMA wave is far larger than non multiple WCDMA wave.
So we have to do clipping process for transmitter waveform of base station of WCDMA.

« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2009, 5:50am by pancho_hideboo »  
View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
sandman
Community Member

Reply #2 - Nov 12th, 2009, 6:11am

Thanks for the reply, pancho_hideboo.

Well, I found the same webpage you sent from Wikipedia, but I've read few articles that differentiate the two, without explaining how.

My understanding is :

for a complex signal x(t),

PAPR = max(x(t).x*(t))/E(x(t).x*(t))

As an example, if x(t)= sin(2.pi.f.t) - a real valued signal, PAPR=2 (linear)  - doing the math!

The 'E' is the expected value function. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expected_value

And going by the same wikipedia page, crest factor of x(t)= sin(2.pi.f.t) is √2. i.e. crest factor = √papr.

Maybe crest factor deals with voltages and papr deals with power, because in the dB scale, they're both 3.01dB for a sine wave. I just need someone to clarify it with details!

Regarding multi-carrier PAPR, I read the same about 10log(Nc) not being applicable for WCDMA (multi-carrier), but without any explanation. Would you know why?

If it is due to the spread spectrum, how is different from OFDM-LTE? Because, beyond a certain number of carriers, OFDM has the same treatment as gaussian noise.

I find an alarming number of articles that use terms like 'carrier' (as opposed to modulated carrier or subcarrier) and 'crest factor' (as opposed to PAPR), very loosely, hence my confusion.

-sandman.

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #3 - Nov 12th, 2009, 6:14am

sandman wrote on Nov 12th, 2009, 6:11am:
The 'E' is the expected value function.
I know.

I mean both E[] and rms are average.
RMS can be evaluated by not only time average but also ensemble average, E[].
For ergodic process, if your rms means time average, E[(|x|rms)^ 2]=(|x|rms)^ 2.

Maybe crest factor deals with voltages and papr deals with power, because in the dB scale, they're both 3.01dB for a sine wave.
Right.

Generally we don't make a distinction between Crest Factor and Peak Factor(PAPR), since they are same if they are expressed by "dB". So there is only one definition for crest factor of baseband signal.
No one has any confusion about this.
But we can define slightly different crest factor for bandpass signal.

Regarding multi-carrier PAPR, I read the same about 10log(Nc) not being applicable for WCDMA (multi-carrier), but without any explanation. Would you know why?
I don't mention multi-carrier.
I mean multiple WCDMA wave of single carrier.

But I think crest factor of multi-carrier WCDMA will be also large although I'm not sure it follows a factor of 10log(Nc).

sandman
Community Member

Reply #4 - Nov 12th, 2009, 7:14am

pancho_hideboo wrote on Nov 12th, 2009, 6:14am:
But we can define slightly different crest factor for envelope signal.

Can you explain this further?

I don't mention multi-carrier.
I mean multiple WCDMA wave of single carrier.

What did you mean by 'multiple WCDMA wave of a single carrier'?

But I think crest factor of multi-carrier WCDMA will be also large although I'm not sure it follows a factor of 10log(Nc).

I'm keen on knowing why, because I'm aware of this assumption being made. Does anyone out here know why exactly the WCDMA (multiple carrier) doesn't follow the 10log(Nc) principle?

Further I've read that with addition of WCDMA carriers, the PAPR is affected and not so much, the crest factor. I seek explanations! Anyone?

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #5 - Nov 12th, 2009, 7:23am

sandman wrote on Nov 12th, 2009, 7:14am:
Very conventional WCDMA signal of down link from base station is multiple WCDMA with single carrier.
On the other hand, WCDMA wave of up link from mobile station is non multiple WCDMA wave with single carrier.

But I think crest factor of multi-carrier WCDMA will be also large although I'm not sure it follows a factor of 10log(Nc).
I'm keen on knowing why, because I'm aware of this assumption being made. Does anyone out here know why exactly the WCDMA (multiple carrier) doesn't follow the 10log(Nc) principle?
My opinion is based on actual measurements using actual instruments not EDA Tool Play.

Multiple WCDMA and Multi Carrier are different.
But crest factors are surely increased for both cases compared to each of non multiple WCDMA and single Carrier.

sandman
Community Member

Reply #6 - Nov 12th, 2009, 8:13am

Thanks pancho_hideboo

pancho_hideboo wrote on Nov 12th, 2009, 7:23am:
Very conventional WCDMA signal of down link from base station is multiple WCDMA with single carrier.
On the other hand, WCDMA wave of up link from mobile station is non multiple WCDMA wave with single carrier.

Still unclear. What do you mean by WCDMA 'wave' ?
What is multiple WCDMA ? Do you imply 'multi-code' transmission on a single carrier? Decresting via clipping is done among other forms for multi-code transmissions. Still, perhaps they have the same logic explaning the 10logNc non-compliance?

It would interest me to know in further detail what you meant by 'crest factor is differently defined for a bandpass signal' - in terms of it's envelope, how?

But I think crest factor of multi-carrier WCDMA will be also large although I'm not sure it follows a factor of 10log(Nc).
I'm keen on knowing why, because I'm aware of this assumption being made. Does anyone out here know why exactly the WCDMA (multiple carrier) doesn't follow the 10log(Nc) principle? [/quote]My opinion is based on actual measurements using actual instruments not EDA Tool Play.

Multiple WCDMA and Multi Carrier are different.
But crest factors are surely increased for both cases compared to each of non multiple WCDMA and single Carrier.
[/quote]

Tool play or not, that still doesn't explain why. Hopefully someone will have analysis data to share.

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #7 - Nov 12th, 2009, 8:16am

sandman wrote on Nov 12th, 2009, 8:13am:
It would interest me to know in further detail what you meant by 'crest factor is differently defined for a bandpass signal' - in terms of it's envelope, how?
Simply it is RMS value definition for bandpass signal. Not so important.

sandman wrote on Nov 12th, 2009, 8:13am:
What is multiple WCDMA ? Do you imply 'multi-code' transmission on a single carrier?
Yes.

I have Signal Generator both for uplink and downlink.
Crest factor of 'multi-code' transmission on a single carrier is surely very large compared to single code.

Try to measure crest factor using actual instruments.

RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Reply #8 - Nov 12th, 2009, 4:14pm

Regarding the specific question of whether or not a multicarrier WCDMA signal crest factor grows as 10*LOG(Nc) ...

No, the crest factor of a sum of randomly modulated carriers does not grow as fast as 10*LOG(Nc). This relationship is only true for a sum of unmodulated carriers where the initial phase for all carriers is fixed. In this case the average power of carriers adds in power, but somewhere, during the period of the beat frequency, the voltages all add together to define the peak of the waveform.

You can play with this in the lab, but it starts to get difficult after 20 or more carriers because the crest factor is so high that the amplitude leveling amplifiers have a hard time trying to raise the average level of the baseband signal high enough to produce the desired average RF output power (this is the "UNLEVELED" indicator on the Agilent sig gens).

With random phase multicarriers the peaks don't all line up at the same time so the peak of the crest is not as large as it could be.

This one reason why a 54 carrier WLAN signal  doesn't have a 20dB crest factor.

EDA Tool Play (EDAToP) is OK if you then take it to the lab, measure what you expect, and figure out why the two are different.

But I do agree that just because you simulate something doesn't mean it is real. It is only real if you first expect something (through careful engineering) and verify it through simulation (taking into account the accuracy/validity of the models) and finally validating it through measurement and reconciliation.

Designers who think "I simulated it, therefore it must be" are in for a rude and humbling experience if they are forced to go to the lab to back up their faith in EDA tools and models.

My 2 cents ...

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #9 - Nov 13th, 2009, 1:12am

I dug up my very old measurement results from trash.

More than ten years ago, I tried to measure power of WCDMA signal of code multiples by using a log envelope detector such as AD8313 of ADI.

Attached figure is one of measurement results of that.
Output value of log envelope detector is not constant for WCDMA signal of code multiples even if we make average of output or peak hold of output since crest factor is changed if code multiples are changed.

But crest factor shows saturation regarding code multiples.
In this point, if code multiples are enough large, crest factor doesn't depend on code multiples.

If it is due to the spread spectrum, how is different from OFDM-LTE? Because, beyond a certain number of carriers, OFDM has the same treatment as gaussian noise.

I think crest factor of OFDM also shows saturation.
RFICDUDE, how do you think ?

When I have time, I will survey this using actual instruments or by EDA Tool Play.

aho_003.jpg
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.