The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 25th, 2024, 5:07pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Multi-carrier simulation (Read 5755 times)
sandman
Community Member

Multi-carrier simulation
Nov 02nd, 2009, 2:04am

Hi all,

I'm trying to simulate worst case PAPR for a multi-mode tx which can simultaneously tx combinations of GSM/EDGE, WCDMA/HSPA and LTE.

The carriers could be any combinations of GSM carriers (>1), WCDMA (>1) and LTE carriers, in the same band.

I have a setup for MC-WCDMA (MC=MultiCarrier) running in ADS and I can perform measurements like CCDF (and very soon ACLR) on the combinations of carriers.

However, I'm trying to figure out if anyone has any experience on co-simulation MC-GSM, MC-WCDMA and LTE on the same template and if they could provide some advise on the same (do's, don't's etc.)?

Any input are welcome!!

Cheers!

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Re: Multi-carrier simulation
Reply #1 - Nov 3rd, 2009, 5:26am

sandman wrote on Nov 2nd, 2009, 2:04am:
However, I'm trying to figure out if anyone has any experience on co-simulation MC-GSM, MC-WCDMA and LTE on the same template
and if they could provide some advise on the same (do's, don't's etc.)?
I can't understand what your questions are.

Please describe your question in detail.

View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
sandman
Community Member

Reply #2 - Nov 5th, 2009, 2:03am

Sorry, reading that again, it does sound a bit unclear to me too.

Anyway - I'm trying to simulate a multi-mode transmitter chain. I need to be able to generate signals of multiple carriers of each  - GSM/EDGE and WCDMA/HSPA, and LTE together (i.e. on the same design schematic, if that is possible). I'm trying to measure the combined PAPR (via CCDF) of all of these carriers together.

If it is not possible to simulate it together, I'd like to be able to generate them seperately and then add them together, so it appears like I'm transmitting all of the above signals through the same RF+Baseband transmit chain.

Essentially, I'm trying to see what my multi-mode transmitter spec. would need to be, if I tx GSM/EDGE, WCDMA/HSPA and LTE carriers at the same time, if that's possible at all.

Is this possible in ADS or Matlab ? If not, why and if yes, how - what kind of sampling rates will I have to use, what kind of filtering will I need to use etc. ?

Hope that gives more detail.

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2009, 12:29am

Why do you post in RF Simulators ?
Is there any relation to RF Simulators ?

sandman wrote on Nov 5th, 2009, 2:03am:
Sorry, reading that again, it does sound a bit unclear to me too.
Hope that gives more detail.
Not improved at all.
Still no one can understand a meaning of your sentences.

Anyway - I'm trying to simulate a multi-mode transmitter chain.
I need to be able to generate signals of multiple carriers of each
 - GSM/EDGE and WCDMA/HSPA, and LTE together
(i.e. on the same design schematic, if that is possible).
What do you mean by "the same design schematic" ?
DUT's schematic ?
Full Testbench schematic including DUT and Vector Signal Analyzer ?

You mean that you want to generate one combined signal of three mode signals with different carriers by only one DUT ?

Show me your diagram of measurement using DUT and actual instruments such as Vector Signal Analyzer.

Learn measurements using actual instruments. Not "EDA Tool Play".

If it is not possible to simulate it together,
I'd like to be able to
What do you mean by "I'd like to be able to" ?

generate them seperately and then add them together,
You mean that you want to combine three mode signals with different carriers by power combiner and three DUT ?

so it appears like I'm transmitting all of the above signals
through the same RF+Baseband transmit chain.
I can't understand what you mean.

I can understand "the same RF".
However what do you mean by "Baseband" ?
You mean DAC and programmable Digital Filter ?
Or only DAC with other all signal processing by DSP ?

Is this possible in ADS or Matlab ?
MATLAB are different from Simulink.
Do you mean truely MATLAB ?

I can't understand your questions.
But I think it is possible using any of Agilent Ptolemy, Agilent SystemVue, Mathworks Simulink, CoWare SPD(SPW), etc.

I recommend you to use Agilent SystemVue not Agilent Ptolemy.
Currently main stream of ESL(Electronic System Level) design tool of Agilent is SystemVue not Ptolemy.
I can't expect any progress of Ptolemy any more.

If not, why and if yes, how -
what kind of sampling rates will I have to use,
what kind of filtering will I need to use etc. ?
Your sentences are too poor and your questions are too vague.

Your schematic includes only behavioral model ?
What do you mean by "filtering" ?
There are many filtering used in Transmitter signal path.
Where is location of "filtering" in Transmitter signal path ?

The followings are general notes.

- Use correct terminologies.
   - Warnigns are different from Errors.
   - ADS is not name of simulator.
   - There is no tool which name is Cadence.
   - All gains in Direct Plot of Cadence ADE are "right", "true" and "practical" voltage gain.
   - MATLAB are different from Simulink.

- Learn measurements using actual instruments. Not "EDA Tool Play".

« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2009, 5:58am by pancho_hideboo »  
sandman
Community Member

Reply #4 - Nov 8th, 2009, 6:23am

Quote:
sandman: pancho_hideboo, Perhaps my use of generalisations was ambiguous, so I'll try to clarify it again for everyone's benefit, assuming, like you no one else here understood my questions.

Like I wrote and to explain further, I'm trying to design a multi-mode transmitter (to be extended to multi-band later) which is capable of simultaneously transmitting GSM/WCDMA/LTE signals, using the same RF components - MCPA, VGA, IQ-Modulator etc.

For this I need to be able to generate signals in a software simulation environment, in order to study certain aspects of the combined signal waveform, in time and frequency domain - this, so that I can understand what the requirements of my multi-mode transmitter should be - peak power (via CCDF), spurii etc.

With some level of generality, this could either be done in Agilent (Ptolemy or SystemVue) and Matlab/Simulink, or possibly using hardware equipment such as a signal generator (ex. from R&S SMU200A) and vector analyzers. But how are the signals combined best? Does a single Sig.Gen. exist which generates all internally and provides a multi-mode signal at the RF port of the Generator or does one have to use seperate Sig.Gen.s and combine them using a combiner and some filtering?

Since the above signal types have symbols which have different properties in time domain, some amount of attention needs to be given how a signal that is a combination of GSM/WCDMA/LTE waveforms are sampled, and therefore equal attention needs to be given to interpolation (i.e. DSP filtering)

Quote:
sandman: Not sure I understand why and how this highlighted stmt. is relevant here.

I'd like to be able to
Quote:
sandman: Again, not sure how this can not be understoof, even if vaguely.

generate them seperately and then add them together,
You mean that you want to combine three mode signals with different carriers by power combiner and three DUT ?
Quote:
I'm not sure how these signals are combined best, in the harwdare domain which is why I asked this question to the forum.

I can understand "the same RF".
However what do you mean by "Baseband" ?
You mean DAC and programmable Digital Filter ?
Or only DAC with other all signal processing by DSP ?
Quote:
sandman: By RF I mean, the same RF components which support convergent, simultaneous multi-mode transmission. I'm not comfortable yet with baseband terminology, so yes, if you mean DAC+DSP, then I think that would probably agree with that.

I can't understand your questions.
But I think it is possible using any of Agilent Ptolemy, Agilent SystemVue, Mathworks Simulink, CoWare SPD(SPW), etc.

I recommend you to use Agilent SystemVue not Agilent Ptolemy.
Currently main stream of ESL(Electronic System Level) design tool of Agilent is SystemVue not Ptolemy.
I can't expect any progress of Ptolemy any more.
Quote:
sandman: Thanks! I was considering Ptolemy because I have a multi-carrier WCDMA simulation setup in Agilent Ptolemy to measure CCDF (i.e. design schematic, which will later include other measurements like ACLR etc.), but was not sure how to add GSM/EDGE and LTE carriers to this schematic, i.e. what factors to pay attention to, when combining multi-mode carriers.

If not, why and if yes, how -
what kind of sampling rates will I have to use,
what kind of filtering will I need to use etc. ?
Your sentences are too poor and your questions are too vague.

Your schematic includes only behavioral model ?
What do you mean by "filtering" ?
Where is location of "filtering" in Transmitter signal path ?

The followings are general notes.

- Use correct terminologies.
   - Warnigns are different from Errors.
   - ADS is not name of simulator.
   - There is no tool which name is Cadence.
   - All gains in Direct Plot of Cadence ADE are "right", "true" and "practical" voltage gain.
   - MATLAB are different from Simulink.

- Learn measurements using actual instruments. Not "EDA Tool Play

Quote:
sandman: Like everyone else who's learning from this open forum, I appreciate experienced members who share insightful remarks for the benefit of everyone, not disconnected rants possibly a carry over from other posts and interactions. Nevertheless, I greatly appreciate your and everyone else's technical comments. I would be happy to clarify my question further if it is challenging to understand...

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #5 - Nov 8th, 2009, 6:34am

sandman wrote on Nov 8th, 2009, 6:23am:
Does a single Sig.Gen. exist which generates all internally and provides a multi-mode signal
at the RF port of the Generator
or does one have to use seperate Sig.Gen.s and combine them using a combiner and some filtering?
It depends on carrier separation, modulation bandwidth and required ACPR(ACLR).
If you use enough broad Vector signal Generator and both carrier separation and modulation bandwidth are not so wide and required ACLR is not so large, you can generate multi-carrier signal by using only one Vector signal Generator.

It is also very true for simulation costs and efficiency.

Since the above signal types have symbols which have different properties in time domain,
some amount of attention needs to be given how a signal that is a combination of GSM/WCDMA/LTE waveforms are sampled,
and therefore equal attention needs to be given to interpolation (i.e. DSP filtering)
Simply it is required total system bandwidth issue and required DAC resolution issue.
About latter, you don't have to care about DAC resolution in Simulation Domain if you use double precision expression without quantization.

pancho_hideboo wrote on Nov 8th, 2009, 12:29am:
sandman: Not sure I understand why and how this highlighted stmt. is relevant here.
Read my comment above.
Simulation Domain is very related to actual Measurement.

If you can understand actual hardware or actual instruments correctly and properly, strategy of simulation is straight forward.

pancho_hideboo wrote on Nov 8th, 2009, 12:29am:
I'd like to be able to
sandman: Again, not sure how this can not be understoof, even if vaguely.
Simply, expression issue.
I can't understand difference between "I'd like to" and "I'd like to be able to".

I would be happy to clarify my question further if it is challenging to understand...
Good Luck.

« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2009, 9:24am by pancho_hideboo »  
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.