The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 27th, 2024, 6:23am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Second-order low-pass Chebyshev filter (Read 3130 times)
Shlapenka

Second-order low-pass Chebyshev filter
Nov 21st, 2009, 4:29am

Greetings everyone Smiley

So where shoul i start... I am making a course project at my univercity and im having problems with it. So here is the deal:
I've got a scheme asembled (chebyshev filter) in Orcad like this one:

Transistor models are: http://www.mosis.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/umosis/swp/params/ibm-035/t75w_5hpe_4lm-par...

As we can see Vt0 for P type transostor is -0.4450562V, and for N type 0.5551144 V.

Top M5 and M6 transistors are "load" and must act like resistors. Their L is 35um and W is 0.7um (100/2 ratio).

Middle transistors M3 and M4 are "ladder" and their L is 0.35um, W is 7um (20/1 ratio).

Lowest transistors M1 and M2 are "in" transistors and their L is 0.7um and W is 7um (20/2 ratio).

This is made according to the datasheet i got, iput it in atached archive as Filtrai.pdf, there is also a orcad project. Inside is a charakteristika.png picture, this is what i get in output (AC sweep, from 10Hz to 10GHz, 20pointds decade). So when i make c1 and c2 31.5pF and 30pF, i dont get the peak as i get in charakteristika.png...
Why is that? How can i meke it apear? And in pdf page 422 fig. 5 i need to get currents ~80uA but as u can see i get only in nA, how can i achieve uA?

Thank you so much for your help!

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Re: Second-order low-pass Chebyshev filter
Reply #1 - Nov 21st, 2009, 6:49am

Hi, Shlapenka !

I didnīt check the active part of the circuit - however, certainly the whole circuit will not behave like a Tschebysheff filter.
You have two simple RC-elements which are isolated from each other by an amplifier. Thus. the transfer function will have two REAL poles. As you probably know, Tschebysheff reponse requires a complex pole pair instead.

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #2 - Nov 23rd, 2009, 5:23am

Hi,

it appears that you have forgotten to "GROUND" the node at the bottom. There is no path to ground for your current to go which is why you only have nA.

Hi Buddypoor,

it does seem to be able to provide complex poles. See the pdf. in her attachment.

cheers,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #3 - Nov 23rd, 2009, 7:37am

Hello Aaron,

thank you for pointing my attention to the attachment.
As I have mentioned before, I didnīt check the active part in detail -assuming it would be any kind of amplifier. As I have learned from the attachement, the transistor arrangement instead works as a NIC (negative impedance converter) - and in this case the whole circuit, indeed, can produce a complex pole pair which is the basis for a Chebyshev response. Thanks.
LvW

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.