The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 3:28am
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sampling Jitter of ADC ?? (Read 13213 times)
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Re: Sampling Jitter of ADC ??
Reply #15 - Dec 17th, 2009, 12:36pm

Hi Pancho,

pancho_hideboo wrote on Dec 14th, 2009, 2:49pm:
ywguo wrote on Dec 14th, 2009, 11:45am:
So only absolute jitter (maybe we can call it long-term jitter, too) play his role to affect ADC SNR.
I don't think a definition of "the long-term k-cycle Jitter" is needed for locked PLL.

Take account of the closed loop behavior of PLL, the k-cycle jitter will approach a constant after k cycles. The number k is determined by the time constant (GBW) of the PLL. Is it the reason why you said that a definition of "the long-term k-cycle jitter" is not needed for locked PLL?

pancho_hideboo wrote on Dec 14th, 2009, 2:49pm:
We don't have much confusion about direct Jitter Measurement in Time Domain.
But we have much confusion if we estimate it from Frequency Domain Measurement.

What do you mean that we have much confusion if we estimate it from Frequency Domain Measurement? In EDA tool?

Best Regards,
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #16 - Dec 19th, 2009, 12:55am

hi yawei,

Quote:
Take account of the closed loop behavior of PLL, the k-cycle jitter will approach a constant after k cycles. The number k is determined by the time constant (GBW) of the PLL.
I agree to the fullest.

Quote:
What do you mean that we have much confusion if we estimate it from Frequency Domain Measurement? In EDA tool?
I also have the same confusion of converting phase noise PSD in Freq Domain to Jitter in Time Domain. I think Pancho was pointing to this confusion.
 My Explanation --
1.   How to set limits of integration in Freq Domain for integrating PLL Phase Noise plot (which follows PD b4 BW & VCO after BW) to obtain Jitter ??
2.   And I believe the metric(cycle-2-cycle / long-term period jitter) of this Jitter obtained through this method depends upon the Limits ofIntegration.  
3.   According to me, If you integrate your PLL phase noise Plot ,
         a.>  From a very low freq( by low i mean below Linewidth of Osci) to Fosc/2 -- The Phase Noise plot is no longer Lorentzian below Linewidth & that Phase noise is because of Flicker Noise. The Jitter that we calculate by this integration will give us the Long-Term k-cycle Period Jitter including the Slow Drift/Wander in the PLL Output.
        b.>  From a Freq above linewidth to Fosc/2 -- The Phase Noise plot is totally Lorentzian. & The Jitter that we will get through this integration would indicate Long-Term k-cycle Period Jitter without any effects of Drift / Wander Included.
        c.> Cycle-to-Cycle Jitter -- Pnoise value at an offset greater than Linewidth, where Lorentzian assumption holds true, when converted to time domain through Lorentzian small signal assumption frmula gives C-2-C Jitter. Here, we dont integrate because we are considering adjacent Cycle Jitter. Integration means memory effects means Long-Term Jitter.

Pls feel free to comment [ /compliment  ;) ]

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #17 - Dec 19th, 2009, 2:31am

Without additional assumptions, only strobed noise can be converted to jitter. You can find the formula at http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1224609785/9#9.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Reply #18 - Feb 4th, 2010, 12:06am

Hi all,

Interesting discussion but I think it misses the answer to the original question.

I would approach the problem in a different way:

What you get in the ADC output spectrum basically results from reciprocal mixing between the ADC input signal and the phase noise of your clock. The problem is however that for ADC the required jitter is typically specified as jitter, while for PLL/VCO design it is more convenient to know the required phase noise. Demir has published a couple of papers where phase noise of a PLLs is related to jitter. These equations use cycle jitter (self-referred) as the equation should remain valid as the PLL loop bandwidth goes towards zero. But that no problem at all because as long as the clock frequency is much larger than the PLL loop bandwidth: Jc ≈ √2×Jee (Jc : cycle Jitter, Jee : edge-to-edge Jitter).

That means:

1.) Use the simple formula the estimate the required Jee.
2.) Calculate Jc and translate that into phase noise requirements.
3.) Start designing your PLL.
4.) Once you can use simulations (pnoise), the simulator can calculated the desired jitter metric for you.

Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
David Lee

Reply #19 - Feb 6th, 2010, 10:29am

Classically, aperture jitter (absolute jitter) is used for evaluating ADC's SNR.

However, suppose you plan to differentiate the waveform, i.e. take the difference of every two adjacent samples. Then use period jitter.

Suppose you plan to take the sum of every two samples that are eight samples apart. Then use 8-period jitter.

In real life, which jitter metric (absolute jitter, period jitter, cycle to cycle jitter - aka adjacent period jitter, etc.) matters is a function of the actual data processing to be done on the data samples, and is circuit dependent.

David.

- David
View Profile   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Reply #20 - Feb 7th, 2010, 11:58pm

Hi David,

You are right, but I think you miss the point.
The jitter specifications obtained for the ADC need to be related to the clock source. In the case of a PLL phase noise specifications are required for block level design. In this case, aperture jitter is typically not very useful....unless you solely rely on simulations.

Cheers

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.