The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 16th, 2024, 3:21am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Quadrature VCO OR Quadrature Divider ? (Read 1126 times)
Mayank
Community Fellow

Quadrature VCO OR Quadrature Divider ?
Dec 30th, 2009, 10:19pm

HI all,

If i want Quadrature I-Q LO signals, There are two major ways :--

1.  Single Phase VCO -- running at 2 * FLO + a Quadrature Divider.
2.  Quadrature VCO -- running at FLO

Which one's better ??

thanx,
Mayank.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: Quadrature VCO OR Quadrature Divider ?
Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2009, 2:17pm

you can generally get better duty cycle and lower phase noise out of the 2X VCO and digital (ECL arcitecture) type divider.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
rfcooltools.com

Reply #2 - Jan 2nd, 2010, 11:17pm

I have always talked my self out of Quadrature VCO's on a IC when it comes to making an LO signal for Quadrature conversion here is why:
Open loop phase noise is worse since the VCO A will present Noise to VCO B at the most sensitive transitions of each others duty cycle.  
Closed loop phase noise will be worse since ulimately the LO from only one VCO will operate the PLL phase detector.  That VCO will get the normal loop suppression of noise, but since the other VCO tune voltage would be tied to the same point its noise will not be suppressed by the loop unless it is common to both and worse yet the VCO not operating the phase detector will get the noise of the one operating the detector added to it since it is uncorrelated.  There may be a way using two PLL's, but Getting the Quadrature correct is not obvious.

EM Coupling: depending how close the coils are to each other the coupling of these coils and the phase angle the resulting transformer will present the equivalent of an inductor with a different value and potentially lower Q than intended and when combined with the PLL loop the satisfactory locked condition may be where the phase is not 90 degrees.

On chip inductors Q increases with frequency while the degradation of varactor Q is negligible at frequencies of say 3 to 4GHz when compared to other deQ'ing elements.  

Higher frequency inductors are typically smaller in value and thus in physical size thus cheaper.  

Almost always the divided frequency equivalent phase noise will be better both in current, area, and simplicity which is usually always a win win.

View Profile   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Jan 4th, 2010, 12:12am

thanx Jerry and rfcooltools,
                                    your replies helped a lot. I also studied further on this topic & i also think Q-vco is not such a good idea as a Q-divider with a single-phase VCO.

thanx,
Mayank.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #4 - Jan 4th, 2010, 3:57am

hi,
  apart from the disadvantages explained above, both vco's will not  oscilate where Q will be maximum due to coupling Transistors current.

Thanks,
Rajasekhar.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #5 - Jan 4th, 2010, 5:37am

Hey raja,
              Didnt understand your last post so much....Can you pls. explain in some further detail ??

--
Mayank.

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #6 - Jan 4th, 2010, 6:18am

Mayank wrote on Dec 30th, 2009, 10:19pm:
1. Single Phase VCO -- running at 2 * FLO + a Quadrature Divider.
2. Quadrature VCO -- running at FLO

Regarding current consumption, "2" is superior than "1".
Regarding phase accuracy, "1" is superior than "2".

Also you should pick up other scheme such as VCO -- running at FLO with passive poly-phase filter and buffer as candidate.

However I don't know actual product which is realized by "2".

View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.