The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 3:33pm
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
LC VCO (Read 406 times)
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
LC VCO
Jan 22nd, 2010, 10:49pm

hi,
  i am designing a LC vco with 1.2v supply with nmos switching devices and pmos current source, now i juwant to know is there advantage of putting cascode rather than single one? For me there is no problem with swing.

Thanks,
Rajasekhar.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Re: LC VCO
Reply #1 - Jan 22nd, 2010, 10:54pm

You can achieve large output impedance regarding NMOS negative impedance generator.
Also it might be a little useful for isolation from Vdd.

But I don't think cascode is popular.

View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #2 - Jan 23rd, 2010, 12:37am

hi pancho_hideboo,
                              thanks for your reply,some one said casode will reduce phase noise but i didn't understand why it is..because cascode branch don't  effect noise. Could you please direct me any reference regading this.

Thanks,
rajasekhar.

loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #3 - Jan 23rd, 2010, 2:25pm

when you introduce mismatches in the differential stage, the common current source will start to inject some noise.

Common mode rejection is not perfect.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Jan 25th, 2010, 12:48am

Hi Raja,

Jerry once said that Cascode will introduce much more noise than a single transistor current source, his simplest explanation being more the resistance, more it's thermal noise. So, by that logic, cascode should increase the noise pumped into the source node & hence increase phase noise, right Jerry ?

Quote:
For me there is no problem with swing.
If you want to improve you phase noise & you have room to increase your swing, do increase your swing. It should bring down phase noise...unless your vdd is highly noisy and you want better supply insensitivity than usual.
Quote:
some one said casode will reduce phase noise
The only way i see cascode reducing phase noise is by reducing supply sensitivity.

--
Mayank.

View Profile   IP Logged
macrohan

Reply #5 - Jan 25th, 2010, 11:50pm

I think that cascade can save power compare to the single, if you want obtain the same output swing.

View Profile macrohan   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #6 - Jan 27th, 2010, 3:42am

Hi,
    Quote:
I think that cascade can save power compare to the single, if you want obtain the same output swing.
& How do you think that ? Pls. explain.

--
mayank.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #7 - Jan 27th, 2010, 12:14pm

Mayank -

Current sources create noise - largely because of high impedance. (go model it and run a noise simulation)

A common mode current source injects common mode noise, which is not perfectly removed by differential signal processing.

Mayank - your analysis seems correct to me.

A cascode source is noisier that a simple 1 transistor current source, due to the higher impedance.

Less power with one vs the other? How?  the current is the same (or can be controlled to be the same)

jerry

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
DoYouLinux
Community Member

Reply #8 - Feb 7th, 2010, 7:55pm

Hi,

It depends on your oscillation frequency. With high enough ones (> 50 GHz), care should be taken with the cascode device size, i.e., its total source capacitance can reduce the effective negative resistance of the whole cross-coupled transistor pair.

Hope this helps as a guideline,

DYL

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #9 - Feb 7th, 2010, 9:10pm

hi DYL,
        how cap at the common source node will reduce -ve resistance provided by the diff pair? and generally what i feel is with cascode we can reduce cap the the common source node by simply reducing the cascode size.

thanks,
rajasekhar.

DoYouLinux
Community Member

Reply #10 - Feb 8th, 2010, 4:36pm

Hi raja,

What I meant is the capacitance at the source of the cascode transistor. Imagine that as the bottom transistor is trying to push a current to the tank node, this capacitance will spoil the drain current from the bottom transistor, reducing the efficiency in producing negative conductance.

Hope this clarifies Smiley

DYL

View Profile   IP Logged
rfcooltools.com

Reply #11 - Feb 9th, 2010, 1:29pm

Raja, you are probably better off not using a current source at all.  Instead use a resistor tied to a voltage reference and adjust the reference based on current draw from a replica circuit. This will improve phase noise by reducing the conversion of of even harmonics of noise.  In addition the resistor will reduce the common capacitance conversion to differential when the tank is imbalanced (which is always the case to some degree) which should improve your tuning range.
J

View Profile   IP Logged
love_analog

Reply #12 - Apr 23rd, 2010, 10:27am

If you don't use a current source, the Q of the tank is degraded. Typically the advantage of lower upconverted noise is not sufficient to overcome the Q degradation so most products out there do have the current source

you may put a resistor or even better an inductor incread of the current source. In the latter case your current will vary all over the map. I don't know how well a resistor performs as compared to using a current source.  Would welcome ideas on that. Most papers I see use a current source but you can use a resistor servoed by an amplitude control loop to set the amplitude.

loveanalog.blogspot.com
The Power of Analog
View Profile   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #13 - Jun 9th, 2010, 10:26pm

Quote:
This will improve phase noise by reducing the conversion of of even harmonics of noise.

I hope this doesnt refer to the 2f upconversion of noise coz  i dont see how replacing tail current source with resistor will remove 2f upconversion.

If you are talkin about MOS transistor's inherent non-linearity in ID equation, then it's contribution to even harmonics of Fosc in Phase Noise Plot is minimal as compared to 2f upconversion of flicker.

Plz if you can clarify.

--
Mayank

View Profile   IP Logged
rfcooltools.com

Reply #14 - Jun 10th, 2010, 11:06pm

Mayank,
Actually the problem is subtle
A low impedance at the common source acts to turn the rectified voltage at this node to a current which will ultimately flow easier into the tank.  
What makes up the voltage at this node?  it is the accumulation of bias current and the noise associated with it.  This just a different way of looking at a well derived phenomenon (well at least my viewpoint).

Current mirrors have Cgd and Cdb which have some value call it Cdrain.  If a resistor can be used to bias the VCO where the value of this resistor is higher than the impedance of the Cdrain at the second harmonic frequency then there should be a net improvement due to this effect.  And the effect is compounded when you consider higher harmonics where the capacitors impedance keeps reducing and a resistor remains  constant.  In addition to this the Cgd of the current source will act to lower the impedance and act to upconvert 1/f to 2f especially if the capacitor of gate bypassing cap is not sufficiently large.  

http://rfcooltools.com

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.