The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 18th, 2024, 11:31am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ring osc start up (Read 4912 times)
jugemu1234

Ring osc start up
Feb 16th, 2010, 5:28pm

Hi,
Im designing 4 stage ring oscillator. Each delay cell consists of 2 cross-coupled inverters.
It can oscillate in any corners but the time to start oscillation is uncertain. I believe this has annoyed not only me, so can you suggest me to get this oscillate properly on start-up?

Assumption; current starved type ring oscillator, enable signal is on much earlier than current is actually supplied.

dcell.png
View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Re: Ring osc start up
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2010, 7:10pm

jugemu1234 wrote on Feb 16th, 2010, 5:28pm:
Assumption; current starved type ring oscillator, enable signal is on much earlier than current is actually supplied.

Hi,

I think the problem is the enable signal is on earlier than the bias current.
You should change the generation of the enabling signal based on the bias current you use for suppling the oscillator.

Best
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
jugemu1234

Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2010, 7:22pm

Hi,

I understand your point. But nonetheless, it does not assure it oscillates right after specific time point, does it? If it becomes like inp=inn=op=on=..., which is so rare but possible, it might to take uncertain time to oscillate.

View Profile   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2010, 11:48pm

Is this not just a simulation problem? If you have enough gain in your delay stages then oscillation will always start due to noise and mismatch. In simulation however, this is not always the case. Do you use initial conditions to ensure that oscillation starts in simulations?

Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
jugemu1234

Reply #4 - Feb 16th, 2010, 11:56pm

Hi,

In simulation, yes, I can observe oscillation no mater what. As you pointed out, some fluctuation was amplified.
However, what I think problematic is it depends on something unpredictable, somethign uncertain.  For example, ss process at -40, gain becomes small enough probably.

Therefore, I think its better to have sort of start up to provide the seed of oscillation to ensure it oscillates in certain time.

Thanks,

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #5 - Feb 21st, 2010, 2:03pm

If you really want this - do a set of switches that forces one stage inputs to opposite states -

generally its not needed, but if it gives you better feelings about it on power up, go for it.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #6 - Jun 3rd, 2010, 6:08am

Quote:
If you really want this - do a set of switches that forces one stage inputs to opposite states -

generally its not needed, but if it gives you better feelings about it on power up, go for it.

In some chips at 40nm & below, silicon results showed that oscillation on internal oscillator nodes die down too slowly sometimes.
Hence, I generally do that in all oscillators, but i power down all nodes to GND.
That works too, because cross-coupled inverters force opposite movements on psuedo-differential nodes at power-up.

--
Mayank.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.