The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 19th, 2024, 12:20am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Precision Input Adjustment from 0-5VIn to 3.3VDD ADC (Read 1983 times)
daniB

Precision Input Adjustment from 0-5VIn to 3.3VDD ADC
Mar 03rd, 2010, 11:33am

Hi,

I have an input with the following specs:

Input Range 0-5V
To be measured with 10bit resolution (precision) on a ADC that has VDD=3.3V

Does anyone know a circiut that adjusts the 5V range to the 3.3V range without the need of 0.01% resistors or manualy trimming the input gain?

Many thanks

Daniel

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Re: Precision Input Adjustment from 0-5VIn to 3.3VDD ADC
Reply #1 - Mar 4th, 2010, 3:01am

daniB wrote on Mar 3rd, 2010, 11:33am:
Hi,

I have an input with the following specs:

Input Range 0-5V
To be measured with 10bit resolution (precision) on a ADC that has VDD=3.3V

Does anyone know a circiut that adjusts the 5V range to the 3.3V range without the need of 0.01% resistors or manualy trimming the input gain?

Many thanks

Daniel

Hi,

What is the input range of the ADC. It is probably not 0V-3.3V. You would need to adjust to that level. Most commercial ADCs come with built-in programmable gain/attenuation upfront, which may allow you to adjust the signal range. Of course, it is doubtful if the on-chip resistors used for the internal gain settings are matched to 0.01% as you wish. That would most likely not be the case.

Some ADCs are designed to accomodate a larger signal range than supply. It all depends on the part you are using.

Otherwise, if you really need to build your own attenuator upfront, which will mean manually trimming the input gain if you need that precision in gain as well. I would however be a little surprised if you were to tell me that the gain of your 10b ADC is controlled to a 0.01% precision.

Regards,

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.