The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 19th, 2024, 8:28am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Second order Sigma Delta (Read 172 times)
solanojedi

Second order Sigma Delta
Mar 27th, 2010, 1:17pm

Hi everybody,
I'm reading about sigma delta adc, the basic theory. I've read about the first order modulator and now the second order, but I have a problem (maybe stupid) with a phrase of my book (Data Converters by F.Maloberti), when he describe the 'passage' from first order to second order. He says: "Better performances and features are secured by using two integrators around the loop thus forming a second-order modulator as shown in the conceptual scheme of Fig. 6.11 (a). Since the use of two integrators in a feedback loop can
cause instability, it is necessary to dump one of the two integrators by using one of the two options represented by the dotted lines of Fig. 6.11 (a)." (Fig. 6.11 (a) is attached) Why two integrators can cause instability? I can't see... Thank you very much!

Immahssgine.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
panditabupesh
Community Member

Toronto
Re: Second order Sigma Delta
Reply #1 - Mar 27th, 2010, 3:47pm

I suggest go through the section "Stability of MOD2" (page 74) of "Understanding Delta-Sigma Data Converters"

Bupesh

View Profile   IP Logged
solanojedi

Reply #2 - Mar 28th, 2010, 2:12am

Thanks for your answer!

I've read the stability of second order modulator on Temes' book but he talks only about the 'classic' configuration of the second order modulator.. where can I find a discussion about the modulator of mine figure? [i.e, a first order modulator with two integrators in series instead of one]
Thank you!

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2010, 8:09am

Take a look at a simplified model - linear in nature - it is a crude approximation - but it illustrates the stability issue quite well.

Each integrator contributes 90 degrees of phase.  2X90 = 180
Thus you get into oscillation issues.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
solanojedi

Reply #4 - Mar 29th, 2010, 10:12am

You're absolutely right! I didn't think about using continous techniques [like the L-transform] to analyze the stability but I tried to use the Z-transform, and that is a little more unfriendly to me. Smiley

Thank you very much!!

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.