The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 6:48am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
opamp's slewrate model in verilog-a (Read 8663 times)
samiran

opamp's slewrate model in verilog-a
May 11th, 2010, 12:07pm

Hi all,

I require a simplistic veriloga model of opamp in which I need to take care of opamp's output resistance, finite unity-gain-frequency, finite open-loop dc gain and slewrate. For this, I have written a veriloga code where I have considered the opamp as thevenin equivalent model i.e. a voltage-controlled-voltage-source (multiplication factor is the small-signal gain with single pole and finite dc gain defined inside the multiplication factor) and output resistance in series with the voltage source. Using this I am correctly recreating the small-signal behavior of the opamp.

Now, the problem is, I need to incorporate the slew-rate (large-signal behavior) also into this. For this, I planned to put the condition like this: once the differential input is greater than a defined (can be controlled from outside) voltage level, output voltage will simply ramp-up with slewrate_plus / ramp-down with slewrate_minus. Is this correct, I mean does this define the slewing correctly? If so, how I can write the code in veriloga (I am new to veriloga and don't know many useful syntaxes). I am stumbling to write the ramping voltage. Please help me.

Regards
Samiran

View Profile   IP Logged
Marq Kole

Hmmm. That's
weird...

Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Re: opamp's slewrate model in verilog-a
Reply #1 - May 12th, 2010, 7:12am

Hi Samiran,

There is a very useful built-in function to Verilog-A named slew(). You might want to check out the language reference manual for this. It takes two arguments: the expression whose the rate-of-change should be limited and the maximum allowed rate-of-change. It can take an optional third argument if the maximum negative rate-of-change has a different absolute value than the maximum positive rate-of-change. The second argument has to be positive, the optional third argument has to be negative. Sounds like what you need is:

Code:
V(out) <+ slew(gain * V(inp, inn), slewrate_plus, slewrate_minus); 

Of course, you probably have more elaborate code to handle the bandwidth and gain requirements, but if you fit in the slew() function slewrate should be taken care of properly.

NB: slew() is an analog operator so generally it cannot appear inside an event, a loop, or a conditional.

Cheers,
Marq

View Profile   IP Logged
samiran

Reply #2 - May 12th, 2010, 11:20pm

Hi Marq,

Thanks for the suggestion. My situation is to develop a model of opamp which includes the small-signal and large-signal (specifically slewing for large-step input/high frequency sinusoidal signal) behavior in one model. And also there will be an output buffer stage (mainly to take care of output resistance). But, I am stuck in implementing this as I am not really successfully putting the condition when to start slewing at the output instead of following the small-signal behavior.

In my model, I have a gain stage modeled as VCCS (multiplication factor = gm, controlling voltage = input voltage), ro and a cap (CL) in parallel. This ro and CL are setting the dominant pole. And in the output stage its simply a VCVS (multiplication factor = 1, controlling voltage = voltage across the CL) with a series o/p resistance, Rout.

What I am trying to do to implement slewing, is when input differential voltage is exceeding a certain voltage level, just setting a maximum constant current (Imax) through CL. But it is not really helping as I am unable to see any slewing for rail-to-rail input step.

Do you have any idea, how this can be implemented?

Thanks for you patience,
with regards
Samiran

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - May 13th, 2010, 1:21am

You could use the slew() function, as Marq suggested.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Marq Kole

Hmmm. That's
weird...

Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Reply #4 - May 14th, 2010, 1:58am

The slew() function is defined to operate correctly in both small-signal and large-signal analyses. You can apply this to your capacitance definition:

Code:
I(cap) <+ slew(I(r0), max_rate);
V(cap) <+ idt(I(cap)/Cl, 0); 

Marq

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.